Why you shouldn't have Cats.

Joshlikesfish

So, if anyone saw my post showing my new fighter, he is my pride and joy. Came home from school to find my new delta tail from saturday had blown a nest already! Just got back from the gym, and he is nowhere to be seen. I have searched all around the tank and cannot find the corpse. Only other thing i can think of is the CAT!

So, now that i've lost the only delta i've ever seen in my life, I have a new found hatred for my cat. Yeah, eating a few neons, thats ok. Eating a swordtail that I raised and breed myself, that was pretty unfair. But eating my prized posession!?!!?! This means war.....

Anybody else have this problem?

Sorry for your loss, it is always so annoying to have a senseless loss like that.

Cat's are genetically programmed to hunt. When we keep them in captivity it is up to us to ensure that the environment is safe (for them and for anything they may prey upon). Perhaps it is a good time to get a secure lid for the tank?

Many many many years ago, one of my previous cats was taking a bit too much interest in my flatmates goldfish bowl, I told her she needed to put some mesh or something on top of the tank.

"Your cat is too stupid to catch my fish" she told me.

The next day she came home to find that her goldfish had become a dorsal fin.

"Your cat has eatin my fish" she yelled at me.

"Not my cat," I replied, "He's too stupid!"

Today all my tanks that the cats can get to unsupervised have lids.

My other tanks have lids. This one was a recently set up planted tank. Didn't plan on putting fish in it =/ Oh well

Time to start pricing clear achrylic i guess

Many many many years ago, one of my previous cats was taking a bit too much interest in my flatmates goldfish bowl, I told her she needed to put some mesh or something on top of the tank.

"Your cat is too stupid to catch my fish" she told me.

The next day she came home to find that her goldfish had become a dorsal fin.

"Your cat has eatin my fish" she yelled at me.

"Not my cat," I replied, "He's too stupid!"

Today all my tanks that the cats can get to unsupervised have lids.

Haha!

I dont trust my fish without lids let alone the cat. He still manages to get his tongue down the tiniest gaps to get a drink of the good stuff. He had a look in the monster tank this morning and the massive female birchir came up to the glass to greet him, Ive never seen a cat run away from a fish before, Ill never forget it either. :lol:

To be fair, the fish could have jumped. Then the cat could have eaten it.

If you went home, you would have found a dead carpet fish. :(:( either ways, but this way the cat got a meal and the fish hopefully died faster. :o

I could have, but it was more likely the cat did it =/ The fish was happy as! Blown a big nest, was chilling around the plants. Betta's are silly and he would have come to greet the cat and om nom nom...

Then this is only fair when the cat gets old...

3523783083_fedcaf2b68_o.jpg

I wish i could do that with my cat lmao

My cat got my SAE when it jumped out. First I was scared that he'd caught a lizard. kinda relieved to find out that it was a common fish
My cat has brought in countless lizards, and shes only a little over a year old. Found he up to no good so many times. She even found her way INSIDE the couch

Ripping open several bags of fish food is another matter though :evil:

Previous flatmates used to have one of those cats that are picky eaters - sprinkle a bit of fishfood on whatever it turned its nose up to and hey presto new favourite food.

lol, my sisters rat managed to get into my new box of novofry and proceed to eat all 3 containers.

Thanks for the warning... I'll be keeping an eye on my ones ;-)

Actually, all my food is stored in a desk drawer with a child-proof lock on it. I don't understand the people who whinge that their kids get into things they shouldn't, use some foresight for gads sake :roll: But the cat got into stuff that was in ziplock bags from conference that I hadn't put in the drawer yet.

Yeah, after a few escapes of a suicidal red-tail-shark out of the tiniest gap in my old tank, I have always vowed to have a hooded tanklid rather than just plain glass as he managed to get out of this.

Animals are really funny when it comes to fish, my cat used to just watch them all day (but he IS far to stupid - he went to catch a bird and ran head first into the tree trunk). My dog pines and whinges at the tank as she wants to play with them (she might be senile)....

and my parrot runs back and forward infront of the tank saying his own name, bobbing his head and trying to get them to pay him attention. Then when the gouramis come to investigate he proceeds to hiss at them....

:bounce:

I've got 3 cats, and they sometimes walk in front of the fish tank on it's stand (which is quite wide so the cats are able to walk on it) and they never even look at the fish. They just don't bother. I'm extremely confused, because I thought cats LOVE fish. I've had my tank for nearly 3 years and the cats have never once bothered with it.

I had goldfish years ago as a kid that my cat used to be very interested in watching. A few weeks in a row we would come home and find a fish on the floor a metre or so from the fish tank and assumed we had kamikaze fish, cos our cat was the stupidest one ever (his name was Baldrick).

Until we came home and caught him in the act of flicking the poor fish out of the bowl with his paw. He just liked to watch them fly :roll:

Maybe check under your bed or around where a fish might jump/be flicked?

Huge bummer tho, that sucks.

I had goldfish years ago as a kid that my cat used to be very interested in watching. A few weeks in a row we would come home and find a fish on the floor a metre or so from the fish tank and assumed we had kamikaze fish, cos our cat was the stupidest one ever (his name was Baldrick).

Until we came home and caught him in the act of flicking the poor fish out of the bowl with his paw. He just liked to watch them fly :roll:

Maybe check under your bed or around where a fish might jump/be flicked?

Huge bummer tho, that sucks.

My bed doesnt have an under part =/ i searched everywhere. I've gone out of my room for 45 seconds to find her with a baby swordie in her mouth =/