Time for the FNZAS to take action?

Tyrannosaurus

May I say that I was stimulated by your response, to facilitate my article.

I understand the sentiments regarding other animalia, I meant fish and reptiles only. There maybe other more knowledgeable federations for other animals. I am not sure how the proposed "new regulations" would be monitored. Possibly a company has to have in their employ a recognised person or persons that are specifically employed to monitor the animal welfare of the employer. Questions are then raised of audits, competence to practice, non compliance, fines and finances. Builders , gas and electric have legislated codes of compliance, this would be a huge ask for such a small federation.

My suggesting is more recognition for the care and competence of fish and reptiles. This in its self may assist in the promotion of well being for other animalia and could also be a recognised element in an award system.

I do not think the FNZAS should be recognised as a regulatory body, the FNZAS core values stimulate competence and knowledge for all aquarists of all types and ages. The persons affiliated to the FNZAS are the federation, although I do understand the passion of many FNZAS members with regard to animal welfare.

Positive reinforcement via awards stimulates higher standards on its own, but only for those that take on the ideology. People or employers that demonstrate a lack of reasonable care for animals could possibly demonstrate a lack of interest, although to invite them to take part in the awards makes a statement and it is then in-there interest to be recognised.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some very good points and ideas here and Stuart is correct when implying that the FNZAS should not be a regulatory body. We must be clear that the FNZAS is a representative body not a regulatory body and the distinction is very important in this case (you can't support someone and slap them on the hand at the same time). If we want to be influential of the regulatory body we will have to consider having a say on one of the Ministerial advisory committees for the Animal Welfare Act - e.g. the National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) or the National Animal Ethics Advisory Committee (NAEAC). This is a long term objective (and a very big ask) but one with a significant impact. In the short term, we can act as advisors and advocates of good fishkeeping and some of these ideas are well on the way at making a significant impact on our communities. I am looking forward to the development of some of these ideas with a solid rationale and a good plan for action. Suggestions are encouraged.

More on the Animal Welfare Act 1999 can be found here: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/legislat ... m#advisory

• 4 months later...

I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I got my 15L tank recently. Thought it would be a good Christmas present for the kids. I was only going to put one fish in it. But we are on a tight budget and my limit is $100 and I've already spent $50 on the tank and I guess I could take it back and get the bigger one that is over $80 but then I will have to spend more to get everything and we don't have the money right now. :(

I honestly thought one goldfish would be fine in there... my mum had a bowl when we were kids and it was about the same size (in litres) I think or probably smaller and the goldfish never died. I always thought that it was like a plant... if it's in a pot it will only grow so much and then stop. If it's in the ground it keeps on growing. I thought goldfish will only grow to a certain size depending on the size of their bowl/tank.

I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I got my 15L tank recently. Thought it would be a good Christmas present for the kids. I was only going to put one fish in it. But we are on a tight budget and my limit is $100 and I've already spent $50 on the tank and I guess I could take it back and get the bigger one that is over $80 but then I will have to spend more to get everything and we don't have the money right now. :(

I honestly thought one goldfish would be fine in there... my mum had a bowl when we were kids and it was about the same size (in litres) I think or probably smaller and the goldfish never died. I always thought that it was like a plant... if it's in a pot it will only grow so much and then stop. If it's in the ground it keeps on growing. I thought goldfish will only grow to a certain size depending on the size of their bowl/tank.

If I were you I would take the little tank back and get my money back.. then buy a used set on TM eg. 30-40L with an internal filter, light and air.. you should be able to find something around the $50mark. Nothing wrong with used, most times it just needs a good clean.. Then you could get a few goldfish for the kids to enjoy :D

30-40 litres too small for goldfish! adult goldfish are about 10inches long

Ok.. never kept goldfish before.. then whatever Mountain minnows you can fit in there like you suggested... would still return the 15L though...IMO thats too small a body of water to keep any fish in.

How many fish that can be kept in a volume of water is a very relative thing. It depends on the temperature, freqency of water changes, amount and type of food given and a heap of other things. When breeding or importing there is a economy of scale and people will generally keep a lot of fish in a tank, but if maintained properly it is not a problem.