Fancy Plec ideas

Jennifer

Hi guys, I am thinking about getting a fancy plec for my 6 footer. I don't know much about them so I am hoping for some advice on what are some good possible options for me.

These are my likes/dislikes:

I like active fish rather than ones that hide all the time (similarly, I like fish that are active during the day).

I like the bright colours or unusual colours and patterns that will stand out against the green plants

I like smaller fish, I don't want a fish that is so large that it can't swim full speed in my tank

I like peaceful fish (this will be a community fish with other bottom dwellers)

I like unusual/rare fish (but in this case not so rare that it has to be in a breeding programme)

I like the idea of paying no more than $200 for it

Is there something that might fit those parameters?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, :roll: I had written a comment about it in my post above but then I deleted it because it sounded too negative....I LOVE the way they look but don't they hide all the time? The ones I have seen hide a lot.

Mine didn't hide at all. It was constantly out and in my face, eating everything in its way.

Neither did another L18 that I sold to another local member. can't comment on all of them though.

Remember that most 'fancy' plecos will hide in tank. Especially hypans!

Cories and other dither fish encourage them out.

The L18 is what I would recommend for a planted tank. Goldie plecos would be nice but get bigger a tad faster and tend to have the 'self landscaping' gene :lol: .

Gold Nugget(?)

"Gold nugget" is a reference to one of 3 different species of fish.

First is the L177 - Something that I am looking for. They stay smaller and have larger, and fewer spots. Best looking by far.

L018 - Is the fish pictured above. Smaller spots and more in number.

L081 - many small spots.

i think a couple of L081 would finish off a big troph tank nicely.

I get so happy when people post in the catfish section :D

They would look good in a troph tank, and they would do well too. you should get one.

It is quite hit and miss putting 2 of these together, as they are known to be quite territorial and aggressive to each other, but it can be done. I know a member on here who has 9? of them in an 800L tank with no aggression reported.

How about Peckotias? I don't know why someone hasn't already mentioned this.

http://www.u2u.idv.tw/stone/htm-e/PLECO/pleco.htm

Have a look on this site. A lot of catfish on here get quite big, so just look at the Peckotia sp. They stay small. A suggestion of an exact sp. that looks nice is Peckotia sp 'L288'. It is very colourful, grows no bigger that 15cm, and has an unusual swirly stripy pattern. There are tonnes more Peckoltias still being discovered. They are all peaceful, and need soft water with a pH of 4.5-6. Their temperature requirements are 25-29. Preferably around 27-28 as most Amazon catfish and other species in the area thrive in these temperatures. I've got Golden Bristlenoses and Kitty Tetras (a peaceful schooling Amazon tetra) and keep them with a soft pH and preferable temperature and the Kitty Tetras are spawning! If you keep Peckoltias, make sure their tank is densely planted (I'm sure you won't have a problem with this!). Then they might breed. Not many Peckoltias have been bred in captivity, but there breeding is probably similar to that of other small catfish (like Bristlenoses). Caryl's Bristlenoses just breed on their own accord in her tank, so if you do end up choosing Peckoltias you may have some succsess!

I have kept many plecos in my day and I would have to say that you can never pick the Activity of a pleco based on the type! I have had some that hide where as other have been very active.

My most active plec would have been my L14 "Sunny".

You kinda have to hope for the best when buying any plec in my opinion.

Find one you like and just go for it!

leopard cactus (L114) are available (there's two at the Hutt Pet Centre) but they can be stroppy, grow reasonably large, and as with goldie plecos they are carnivorous.

There are a number of smaller species of Pleco that would be good options (several have already been mentioned): the smaller Panaques (clown plecos, Flash or Peru striped panaque, tiger pleco), Hypancistrus (chocolate zebras, king tigers), and the so-called 'big band tiger pleco' (a Peckoltia). While they are not quite as colourful as gold nuggets, they are all small species and easy to look after. If you've got a large tank I like royal plecos. They often come out to feed and look great but they do grow large. As for coming out often, based on my experience, if they are comfortable in their surroundings, which ususally means plenty of cover and lower lighting they will come out more. I agree with Jamosfish, its hard to predict what an individual pleco will be like. Avoid the stroppy or difficult ones, and go with what you like. Hopefully they'll come out. For value for money and good looks, chocolate zebras are pretty hard to beat.

Gold Nugget(?)

I saw 2 of these at animates on moorehouse (I think, Can't have seen them anywhere else) and they didn't hide. $160 each I think.

How long ago??? I've got 3 of them and they are awesome - 2 hide, one always out and about but I've changed their hiding places so that they think they are hiding when they actually aren't :lol: $160 is a good price, I've paid $190 for one of mine and not much less each for the other 2