Finally happy with tank layout - Update 22/04/2011

phoenix44

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good! What's that tall brown crypt?

I'm not sure... I think it might be wendtii brown; it's one Zev sent me years ago. It is much taller than any of the other things though. Maybe it has to do with its age.

I do wish the tank was deeper, however seeing as I have no magic wand (HP geek alert :smln: ) I've made do with what there is. It does have a certain lack of depth in pictures - to me it is because of the relative straightness of the path. What are your thoughts?

Happy to get constructive criticism if someone is willing to substantiate what they say so I can make the required changes and revert back if needed. Tank looks much deeper IRL but I'm sure the pics are my own fault.

wow - that is - stunning. :hail:

Thanks Adrienne! I love your tank too!

Nah I reckon leave it alone, it in the overall scheme it's still a good tank. Photos always look a bit flatter than real life.

To create more depth for a front-on shot there would need to be more of an illusion of scale, so there'd have to be more smaller plants at the front and all the tall crypts moved back but with all your ferts n stuff there isn't much that will stay small. You could perhaps move the hydrocotyle and the other long leafed plant in the middle to the back but it's really just splitting hairs in my opinion.

In short, you like planted tanks and that's what you've got.

In double short maybe you could take the photo from a lower angle or from a corner so it's on a bit of diagonal and then we can see more of the depth that way instead. Might work, might not.

the stupid thing about glass and fish tanks is that it removes depth, my tank is 90cm deep and it only looks about 50-60cm deep due to the amount of water and thickness of the glass between the front/back of the tank, when i do a water change and the top half of my rock background sticks out of the water you can instantly see the amount of depth the tank has, as soon as the water rises everythings magnefied again :facepalm:

You could perhaps move the hydrocotyle and the other long leafed plant in the middle to the back but it's really just splitting hairs in my opinion.

Ah... see the cardamine is right at the back of the tank and is about 5cm at most from the rear wall of the tank. The only thing behind it is the hollow drift wood that the group of L66 chill out in and that has the second blob of windelov on it.

At least that means it's the pictures fault :lol:

Taking picture of this tank is a tad difficult as there is a fridge and a Freezer right where you would need to stand to get further back! :facepalm: :o

I agree with Sophia here, its more creating the illusion of depth more than anything, you could try mucking around getting the path more windy, or even narrow it out towards the back (the whole depth perspective thing looking into the distance) but honestly, if it looks good in real life, thats what counts.

Actually, you should do a tutorial thread on basic plant layout concepts, dosings and light etc. At the very least your tank shows that you know something about it.

+1

Bit jealous that you get to look at that everyday.

You've done an amazing job on your tank. If you ever end up in chch I'd even pay you to fix my tank :lol: