Longfin bristlenose

Adrienne

Today I set my tank up for a serious attempt at breeding these guys. HFF did amazingly well when these guys first arrived in the country and I have two of each sex - see photos below. Kiwiplymouth sourced and sent me some bamboo :hail: thanks so very much.

So now its up to them, fingers crossed

longfinbnsff10april.jpg

The photo on the left is the alpha male but the other is not much smaller. The two females differ in size from each other quite a bit. In the right hand photo the other male is at the top of the container.

I'm glad I could help you out.

Good luck with the breeding, They don't seem to be any different from common BN when it comes to breeding them.

Have you dried your bamboo or did you put it in green?

Here is one of mine guarding a cave with about 100-150 fry in it.

004-3.jpg

And this is my favourite male. He has extra long fins and bristles.

I have only bred from him once so far and it was a very small batch of 20 ish

008-Copy.jpg

0092-Copy.jpg

Wow kiwiplymouth - what a head of bristles. How old is that guy. Did he come in at Xmas along with my ones or is he older?

And don't laugh but the only time I bred bn was when there was an algae bloom in my tank and when it cleared there were dozens of young bn out and about. Trouble was as soon as it cleared the fighters in the tank ate the young.

Wow kiwiplymouth - what a head of bristles. How old is that guy. Did he come in at Xmas along with my ones or is he older?

He came in at the same time as all the others and if anything he is smaller than my other males.

I don't know why he is so different to the other males but I'm not complaining :D

Notice the bristles that are growing on his lateral fins too.

maybe he's a throwback to a gorse bush from the ice age :D

one of my females is very different to all the other longfins. Her fins are not nearly as long and flowing. Not sure if they have the feather look either. She's the smaller of the two girls.

hey adodge can vouch for them being the same as normal bristlenose even got some gold ones just have to wait and see if they turn out longfin or normal

love the bristles on yrs KP :P

I couldn't get my hands on any goldens last time. I had a spare longfin male so I partnered him up with a gba female and now have heap of young longfin cross's. I plan to mate them to gba again to get some longfin goldens. I have more of the longfin cross's than I need and I am looking for EOI on the extras when they are ready.

I couldn't get my hands on any goldens last time. I had a spare longfin male so I partnered him up with a gba female and now have heap of young longfin cross's. I plan to mate them to gba again to get some longfin goldens. I have more of the longfin cross's than I need and I am looking for EOI on the extras when they are ready.

Are the cross's longfinned, short finned or in between?

If they are in between, I would be inclined to breed the offspring back to each other, in the hope of getting some that are gold with the full length fins. Choose the longest finned individuals each time.

If they have full length fins, then the next step is cross with a gold.

If they are all short, then cross them with each other, and a few will come out gold and longfin.

hey KP heard someone that crossed longfin BN with normal GBA and got all BN not sure weather these are longfin or not funnily enough my goldens have come frm longfin BN to longfin BN so i think these longfin BN have actualll been crossed before

like this

longfin GBA * BN = longfin BN

one of my pair must be carrying the recessive gene back to the longfin GBA \

so i wonder if trying to cross them back brings the dominant shortfin with the dominant BN resulting in normal BN ??

hey KP heard someone that crossed longfin BN with normal GBA and got all BN not sure weather these are longfin or not funnily enough my goldens have come frm longfin BN to longfin BN so i think these longfin BN have actualll been crossed before

like this

longfin GBA * BN = longfin BN

one of my pair must be carrying the recessive gene back to the longfin GBA \

so i wonder if trying to cross them back brings the dominant shortfin with the dominant BN resulting in normal BN ??

That is always a possibility I guess.

My last attempt at crossing shortfin GBA with shortfin Albino resulted in 100% shortfin BN.

I would imagine that most of the longfin that came in to the country are related so with a bit of luck a few more are carrying that recessive gene

I'm glad I could help you out.

Good luck with the breeding, They don't seem to be any different from common BN when it comes to breeding them.

Have you dried your bamboo or did you put it in green?

Here is one of mine guarding a cave with about 100-150 fry in it.

004-3.jpg

And this is my favourite male. He has extra long fins and bristles.

I have only bred from him once so far and it was a very small batch of 20 ish

008-Copy.jpg

0092-Copy.jpg

OMG! I want!

• 3 months later...