Amazon theme.

DennisP

With not much thought, i have decide i want to theme my tank like... the amazon... -.-

Planted style.

What would be a good background/foreground plant??

And anyone got any advice? Like... How to arrange everything? Is it best to have a lot of rocks? or just a few? This kinda thing. And also experiences....

So far, the ones i've seen, i really like the style.

I prefer the ones without a large variety of plants, because it just doesn't look natural.

I'll be looking for some cool driftwood and more rocks when i'm up in the sounds next week. So i can hopefully find some interesting stuff.

:bounce:

a good foreground plant would be something like dwarf sag., towards the back you could have things like swords and stems

you would want quite a bit of wood, root like bits would look good in an amazon themed

rocks if you want, .. a finer substrate also if you were wanting things like corys

any plans for stocking as well?

scaping it you could try and do something like a secluded/sheltered spot in a river, like the scape kind of running from a corner, a fair bit of substrate visible then a few spots of plants in that?...

thanks, thats what im after.

I have discus, and a BGK in my 240l juwel. and corys. and some others. Will probably get rid of my BGK and get neons or something affordable.

I have silica sand at the moment.

I have a variety of plants, the non amazon ones i will get rid of, so that means mainly my stems, cos i dont really like them.

I have some dwarf sag, but its growing slowly so i will need to get some more...

Ummm... yeah...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lots of wood is good, rocks really don't suit, some small ones ok for variety. good foreground plants: chain sword and dwarf chain sword. a big sword is good as a center piece. Ive also got some crypts and val, not south american but close enough. any other questions i'm happy to help but ive only had mine going for a couple of months.

• 3 weeks later...
Could be Sagittaria microfolia but is more likely to be Echinodorus tenellus.

I think so.

Anything new Dennis ?

Echinodorus tenellus is a good foreground plant for your project.

Could you tell us the dimensions of your tank and the lighting power ?

Not much new I guess, Added a few more swords and sticks. Still don't have a good foreground plant as I couldn't find any tenellus.

I was going to put up a picture in the members tank section but one of the E. amazonicus sent out a baby plant stick thing so I've had small swords sitting everywhere.

Pencil Fish, various Tetras, especially Black Neons, Rummynoses, Black Phantoms, Kitty Teras and Cardinal Tetras. Definately Apistos (Trifasciata are the nicesest). Catfish - Bristlenoses, Banjo Catfish, various Plecos like those Golden Nuggets, and Port Hoplos are cool too. Hatchet fish will look cool, and if possible get some Splashing Tetras. Some ferns and moss will look neat too. My Flags will be at home in this setup, as it's their natural biotope. How are they going? If you still have some Congo Fern but don't want it as it's an African, please tell me because I'm majorly interested! For an Amazon biotope, mangrove roots will be a great addition, and you definately must have oak leaves or it won't be an Amazon tank! Amazon tanks look great with a strong tannin. The mangrove roots will also leach tannins too, plus they're all gnarled-looking and definately a good choice of wood for your tank.

what about this sort of look

Looks great ! Wow thanks for posting Broms :)

Wanna do something like that ! With a lot of... (no Phoenix... no... don't even think about it lol ;) ) oak leaves or something and many small fishes.

Just roots, shadows and lights in a mysterious black water... :bounce: