heating a 30,000 litre tank?

livingart

want to heat a 30.000 litre tank

thought of coiled alkathene laying in the sun

fitted with a thermostat and pump

any thoughts on this?

If you really want to do it properly and have the funds I'd say getting a good evacuated tube solar water heating setup would work best.

Coiled alkathene in the sun though should be relatively cheap and good for a couple degrees above ambient.

a company called aqua therm tanks would be my first call

patented heat retention system.

also i would say not a black line, i would get a proper solar panel to heat water, the glass tubes with reflectors.

they are only 1500 to 2500. really a small investment to save you thousands in a couple of years.

heating a 30k L tank would be a huge undertaking.

I would have a solar heater, and a redundant system of a gas heater to ensure temp is always up.

if you have a 30kL tank.

you would surely put highly prized fish in there.

if i was to build tank like this, i would invest almost the same value with fish!

if not more!

so, investing in the right heat retention and heating system is important i reckno.

excellent ideas

the 3,000l aro tank i heated with 25m of thick walled alkathene in summer

had to watch it didn't heat too much though

winter would be a different proposition

tank will be half inside with polystyrene on outside

big acrylic windows inside

other tank will be 9m concrete construction

will look at solar heating systems ira

and the aqua therm

arapaima, stingrays and breeding reds would be nice :wink:

If your household water supply is that casual I would check to see that it is not connected to the farm watering troughs without back flow prevention I have seen a number of farms where the farming families were at risk of being treated with bloat control drugs because the system was not set up properly.

excellent ideas

arapaima, stingrays and breeding reds would be nice :wink:

where you going to get these guys :-? and if you are going for such a big tank i think a ID shark would be cool to and some giant dats :)

Solar would obviously work over summer, in fact with a large body of water like that you'd hardly have to heat it over the two hottest months once you got it up to temperature. The big question is what you would do over winter, and you'll need something more reliable than solar IMO.

What about something like an infinity gas heating system with adjustable thermostat? You would have to plumb it in so that the solar worked first and if the water was already warm enough the infinity wouldn't turn on.

I think you can get pretty efficient swimming pool heaters that are heat pump based too which may work?

The key would be fully insulating the side that isn't inside to prevent losses.

there is a solar heater that works even in winter, as long as there is sun.

that would work too.

but indoors, i agree with david that heat pump in doors in a insulated room is your best bet.

once the heat is up to temp, you maintain it by a heat pump.

BUT thats indoors lol

I'd say try the solar, but have the spa heater in line too. that way, even if you get a little through the solar your not relying on it, and the spa heater might not have to be on constantly either. with a body of water like that though, once it was up to heat, robably wouldn't take much to keep ticking over. Good insulation will be your best friend too.

aaa11z.jpg
s

That is superb!

(nzcookie's husband here again)

For the lowest capital cost option check out: http://www.omega.com/heaters/hsc.html

I imported submersible heaters with built in thermostat from these guys to heat a 5,000L bioreactor.

An electric heating element this size could thermally shock (aka cook) fishies that get too close so you should ideally install it in a thermosyphon with the heater in a vertical pipe outside the tank connected to a coil inside the tank. (full design drawings on pg 169 of this doc: http://ir.canterbury.ac.nz/bitstream/10 ... lltext.pdf). If you put a heater this size in the recirculation loop from the filter, make sure you have enough recirc. flow that you don't thermally shock any fish near the return line into the tank.

For the lowest running cost, and probably most reliable option (similar power saving over an electric element to solar considering how much back-up power you need from an electric element with solar) a swimming pool heat pump is the go. These are specifically designed to hold 20,000 - 40,000L of water at anywhere between 20 - 35 Deg C. PS if you want any design help on a denitrification filter for this size tank let me know (contact details on http://www.apexenvironmental.co.nz)

Matt.