Should I put antlers in my tank?

Olly

I have a set of antlers from a 12pt red stag I shot about a month ago. I've cleaned them up and have cut the top of the skull off so there is a pair of antlers connected by a piece of bone.

I am considering putting them in my tank and growing java moss or fern on them (or anything else people suggest). I see no reason why it would be bad for the tank, but thought I would ask first.

Questions:

1. Are they going to affect the water?

2. Is the water going to harm the antlers?

3. Will the plants attach themselves properly?

4. Has anyone tried this before?

Cheers

You should get a pair and leave them attached to the skull and put the hole thing in. The fish can live inside it and swim in and out through the eye holes. Your house guests would start perching on the edge of their seats, drinking their coffee as fast as possible, leaving as soon as they felt they could without causing offence.

It'd be awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
You should get a pair and leave them attached to the skull and put the hole thing in. The fish can live inside it and swim in and out through the eye holes. Your house guests would start perching on the edge of their seats, drinking their coffee as fast as possible, leaving as soon as they felt they could without causing offence.

It'd be awesome!

:lol:

I'm sensing the beginning of an exciting new morbid trend in fish tank decor :)

:lol:

I'm sensing the beginning of an exciting new morbid trend in fish tank decor :)

When we were kids, my uncle (who was an avid hunter) gave my brother a deer skull + antlers and it eventually got attached to the top of our garage... Y'know, where normal people have a basketball hoop? At the time it seemed like nothing, but in hindsight I bet all our neighbours and random passerbys probably thought it looked terrifying. I wonder if local kids referred to us as the murder/witch house or something.

first thing I thought of was red neck! :lol:

It does sound pretty red-neckish doesn't it. Maybe our neighbours considered us white trash, we were poor living in quite a nice suburb. And we always had 'weird' pets like lambs, rats, frogs etc. Kids at school used to ask me if I lived on a farm.

My dad grew up on the West Coast and they all went deer and pig shooting as kids. Their garage walls were covered in antlers and skulls of varying size. Inside the gun rack in the kitchen had more antlers on it. Hunting was their main source of food as they could not afford to buy meat.

In fact, when he was called up for the reserves they were amazed at how many good shooters they had in the ranks then realised they all came from the West Coast and all were seasoned hunters at 18yrs with many years experience with rifles :lol:

The derogatory slang term Redneck was used to refer to poor white farmers in the Southern United States, the term probably originated from the fact that working in the sun all day burnt the back of their necks.

Growing up in Rotorua i think nearly every house in our street had a set of antlers on the garage.

The derogatory slang term Redneck was used to refer to poor white farmers in the Southern United States, the term probably originated from the fact that working in the sun all day burnt the back of their necks.

Growing up in Rotorua i think nearly every house in our street had a set of antlers on the garage.

Ohhhh hahaha, so we weren't the only ones! Hahahaha. I still think they looked out of place in Merivale, Christchurch.

• 2 weeks later...

I put them in a week ago and they actually look awesome :)

The angels laid on one of the tips after about half an hour of them being in there :roll:

They only just fit, tank is 5' x 2' x 2', and they take up about half the tank lengthwise, go front to back and top to bottom :o

I will try and get a photo after I'm finished their water change