Kahu's Story

Nymox

First of all hello again to all, its been some times since Ive posted on here or even had a look around. Hope everyone has been keeping well and you all had a great xmas and new years.

Now on to Kahu's story...

I was fishing with my brother at Matata beach on saturday night, it was getting towards evening time and we were looking forward to great fishing on the change of light. We set up a spot near a tuatua bed and got under way. The beach was busy, there were lots of dogs, fishermen, long liners, and fishing boats not too far off the shore. As I was looking around I noticed a little bluish blacky thing sitting just out of the water, there were big black back gulls making a hell of a noise around it. I thought it was a fish carcass and went to check the possible free bait that was waiting for me. When I got closer though I noticed it wasnt bait, but a little blue penguin. I approached it slowly and it made to attempt to escape or defend itself. I realised the poor little thing would no doubt die out here on the big open beach all alone, as tired as it was it would make no effort to run from the ever approaching dogs. I made the choice to do something to help him, so I slowly covered him with a towel, picked him up and moved him to where our gear was. Things seemed pretty hopeless at first, so I kept it covered with the towel and kept things quiet so he could just relax without any fear.

When i arrived home I tried feeding him but I had no success, by this time though it was about 10:30pm at night so I decided to just let him sleep some where quiet for the night. The next morning I took him down to living art to see what is best to do to try help him get back on his feet. Caroline and Mark had great advice as usual, he got some food down him and a swim in the salt water pond, but soon got tired and just wanted to retreat back to somewhere dark and quiet.

Today hes a different bird, I dont need to force feed him, hes alert, can give a fair nip if he wants to, and had a much longer swim. I dont think it will be too long and he can go back into the wild all strong and healthy, and carry out his life. He still tires out very quickly, but if he keeps up with progress from yesterday, Im sure he'll be back out in the deep blue sea catching fish in no time.

I feel its very important to try and help creatures such as Kahu in their time of need, and Im hoping by sharing my experience, it may help others if they ever encounter a similar situation in the future. This past few days have been a real eye opening experience for me, its something I will remember forever. I'm looking forward to his return to the ocean, as much as I'll be sad to see him swim away, I want nothing more then for him to return to his life as if nothing really happened, happy, healthy and full of spirit.

Ive got a few pics of him, the quality isnt great but it gives an idea at least, my computer is still not working right so Im using a laptop for the night, Ill try update this for anyone who wants to know how hes doing.

P1160349.jpg

P1160350.jpg

I found one in Kaikoura hiding under my car and went to put it back in the sea. A guy came along and said he was from Doc. I thought "ellow ellow what are we doing here?" He explained that when they are moulting they have to stay out of the water. This may be what happened here and it could not escape to the water as you would expect but got harrassed on land. Lovely wee guys if they don't bite you.

no worries

usually it is best to leave them alone and let nature take its course, not nice but the best

this one was in the surf and being mobbed, a little underweight and exhausted

about a week TLC and some food should see it right for release again

they need 3 x daily swims to promote oiling again

sadly we are lucky if we can save 30% of the ones brought in as they are usually past the point of no return when we get them

Thanks for all the support, Im sure its helping it his recovery. hes doing great today, every day is huge improvement from the previous. Got in the pool all by himself for a swim and spent most of the morning preening.

I had thought about the moulting it its a big possibility, the problem was his location, generally they burrow as a last resort if there is no where else to hide, Matata is a huge long, very busy beach, not a good place for a little guy like kahu. Especially in the condition he was in, if the gulls didnt get him then a dog sure would.

Any ideas what was wrong with him when you found him?

exhaustion and very skinny so nothing a few days rest with some good food wont cure.

does he do any tricks? :lol:

Aside from talking all night every night, only stopping for 4 - 6 mins sleep before another 3 hours talking as well as power pooing a fishy smelling mixture 3/4 of a meter away from his bed on the carpet, god bless rug doctor!

Lucky we have people like Mark and Caroline who can help in these situations and lucky for Kahu that you found him.

:hail: to that, we need to clone them tho, they are spread to thin.

What is the deal with caring for these animals and the law? Have you informed your local DOC?

Good on you for looking after it, but be careful as you might wind up with an unexpected phonecall, even though you are trying to do the right thing.

It can be a tricky situation with all the laws and things, lucky I had Mark and Caroline but it would not have changed my mind had I not known them. About 4 years ago I was walking my dog on the beach and I noticed a gannet sitting on the beach out the in open, I approached it and just like Kahu it made no effort to defend itself. But being weary of the laws, I decided against taking action myself and called DOC. About 20 minutes later a dog chomped it, Ive never gotten over that. DOC arrived about an hour after that, scooped up the mangled corpse and left. From then on I decided that I wouldnt let anything like that happen again.

Ok so Kahu is doing very very well now, infact hes rather a handful. So Ive spoken to A.R.R.C. (Animal rescue and rehabilitation centre). They have 2 other little blues who are about a fortnight from release. Because hes taming up quickly, which is going to cause problems for his eventual release, I decided to take him down there, where he can interact with other little blues and be released together with them. This is also the last day Ill have transport for some time so I wont be able to provide him with regular salt water swims as easily.