Our new baby

Caryl

is he doing a moult at the moment or has sheaths covering parts of some of his feathers?

indoor birds can go through a "perpetual moult" where they lose feathers all year round

outdoor birds do seasonal moults over a short period

budgies being smaller would produce less dust during these times

whereas a maroon belly may produce more

being a young bird he may also be creating more as his feathers develop

just a thought

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see any sign of a moult. Bud fluffed and dropped feathers all over the place when he moulted!

Now that you mention it, I have not found a single loose feather lying about anywhere. Can't see anything covering his feathers either. I have had him with me for a couple of hours and my eyes are stinging and itching again :cry:

I will feel so bad if we have to sell him due to me having an allergy :cry::cry:

We have taken to bathing Pepper in the sink as water doesn't go quite so far (only halfway over the kitchen and up the window).

sinkbathing1.jpg

sinkbathing3.jpg

sinkbathing5.jpg

He loves ducking under, and drinking from, the tap.

As soon as the bath is finished, it's up onto your shoulder to shake like a dog while water drips off the end of the tail :roll:

DoustillluvmewhenImwet.jpg

It might be a bite mark, we have both been nibbles a couple of times. Nothing too terrible though and understandable with a beak this size. He has taken to plucking out Grant's beard and hanging off it :lol:

I don't know if it is keeping down the dust or if my allergy is to something else as I have been fine this week. Pepper has been on my shoulder most of today and I am still fine :bounce:

Head feathers fluffy, not sitting upright and eyes not bugging out... :wink:

Yeah, were you there when I was telling the story about the parrot at Orana Park which hates me? (Well, it hates blondes in general)... You can just tell by their body language if they're annoyed or just chillin'.

Don't want to take it into the shower as we shower at night and it wouldn't have time to dry out properly. I would worry about bird flu or chills as a result.

Cam yes he does go outside and goes to work with Grant when possible. We will have to figure out when it is time to trim his feathers though or we will lose him :-?

We fed the pond fish together today but I kept an eye out for the neighbouring cats.

Grant looks like a drug addict with marks on both arms from where Pepper hung on for dear life as they travelled in the 4WD over a very rough road! :lol:

it took my lovebird about 3-4 months to be able to fly - but he wasn't able to glide at all the way his wings were clipped.

While his feathers were growing back it was funny to see him try to fly to me, but end up on the table cos he didn't have much control on where he was going :lol:

• 3 weeks later...