Our new baby

Caryl

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to be allergic to a conure but not a budgie? I have the feeling I am reacting to Pepper. He has spent a couple of hours sitting on my shoulder and now my eyes are red and sore. I was fine earlier and no problems the past 2 days when he has gone to work with Grant.

It happened the other day too but I thought it was hayfever, although I did joke that perhaps I was allergic to Pepper. Perhaps I have always been allergic to birds but a budgie is too small to cause a reaction :-?

Hmm this might be a problem unless Grant takes him with him all the time. Not sure if the headache that has been coming and going is connected either (I don't think so) but I rarely get headaches, just a migraine once every 7 years or so :roll:

I hope this is not the case, Caryl :(

If it is any consolation over the last couple of weeks I have had really bad headaches bordering on migranes and a puffy gunky eye last week, and we have no bird in the house - unless you count the one that the cat brought in and ate last week. Could also be attributed to the fact the it was the last week of the school holidays and that my patience were at wits end...

I've seen no sign of mites and Pepper doesn't seem to be scratching. Grant's just been called out again (back to Nelson). So much for having a day off :evil:

After almost an hour away from Pepper my eyes settled. Now I have him back so will see if the eyes get worse again. Here's hoping it is something outside and not the bird.

Bud did not sit on my shoulder all the time so I was not as close to him for such long periods as we are with this bird.

Mites are uncommon in birds that have a healthy immune system. The two most common types are the scaley face mite (Knemidokoptes) and the red mite (Dermanyssus). Scaley face mites cause a crusted cere and beak and are most common in budgies. Red mites can infect all parrots but they will cause quite a bit of distress and scratching at night when they come out.

I have seen people allergic to the feather dust of birds. Offering the bird a daily bath and keeping the cage clean can help a lot. Also, do not get a cockatoo since they are VERY dusty!

I sure hope it is just hay fever Caryl! :roll:

He had a very messy bath this morning! :lol: Water went a looong way! Pepper likes to duck his whole body under then climb up on your shoulder and shake like a dog. Then we sat in the sun to dry out.

I have seen red mites in budgies and there is no sign of them, or the other ones, on this bird.