Pretty pekoltia - Peck. pulcha

Adrienne

Went into HFF today (after two visits yesterday lol!) and purchased three of the Pretty pekoltia so here are the pics. Opinions welcome and expected!

pretty1.jpg

pretty4.jpg

pretty2.jpg

pretty3.jpg

They also have a wider range of other plecs/panaques than I have ever seen before and I was pretty keen to get some others. Looks like I'm going to have to get me some bigger tanks in 2010 :oops:

yes with a bit of effort. I was going to get some but thought they would go up my intank valve.

They've got a really good range of corys in, they've even three types of killies as well, in fact there seems to be a good range of all fish in at the Mt Roskill branch, not sure about the other ones. The banded knife fish is really really nice and I don't normally even like them.

They were $39.95 each.

I was told they get to about 10cm which given that my tanks aren't that big is a suitable size for me.

There were also some spotted bn in the shop. Any ideas as to what these would be.

Thats a good price.

I think the spotteds are Ancistrus sp. `Rio Ucayali`

I got them to send me 4 a few weeks back

Here are a couple of my clowns when they first arrived, they are much brighter in colour now

2008_10090011.jpg

My opinion is you shouldn't have required 3 visits before you bought them :wink:

weeellll, one was to see what they had and there are a lot more types of fish in store that I haven't seen before than just this import and mention to hubby that there were fish in store that normally aren't in NZ :)

second was to have another look and this time tell hubby how really nice they were and how I had some empty tanks (and show him the empty tanks), and mention again that they normally aren't in NZ :wink:

and third time was to buuuuyyyyy them!! :bounce:

Given that we have just purchased and had a new spa pool installed...

Thanks kiwiplymouth - I started to wonder what was happening as they also have starlight bn in the store as well and these spotted bn were a lot smaller. There are some other plecs that I really liked the look of and another that I have never heard of before (sounded something like nicu.....) but I couldn't see it in the tank.

They look like clown plecos to me (Panaque maccus) which are sometimes sold as Pretty Peckoltias. They are great looking plecos, which wont get big, and are apparently quite breedable. Very nice fish.

I have to second that too. the fin structure and sloping forehead are way too maccus like.

there are two types of spotted BN in store one is as KP described a

Rio Ucayali the other is locally bred starlights L number yet to be defined the third plec is a (forgive my spelling ) a niteveus plec and yep he is in there a very nice specimen too was going to get correct spelling and Lnumber but PC seems to have locked up maybe someone else knows its proper L number and correct spelling

Thanks kiwiplymouth - I started to wonder what was happening as they also have starlight bn in the store as well and these spotted bn were a lot smaller. There are some other plecs that I really liked the look of and another that I have never heard of before (sounded something like nicu.....) but I couldn't see it in the tank.

Rio Ucayali the other is locally bred starlights L number yet to be defined the third plec is a (forgive my spelling ) a niteveus plec and yep he is in there a very nice specimen too was going to get correct spelling and Lnumber but PC seems to have locked up maybe someone else knows its proper L number and correct spelling

niveatus is on the list too.

L26 I think.

get about a foot long at max. but that seems likely.

Niveatus will be aggressive like a mango and other baryancistrus.

As for pretty peckoltia all I can say is at least they have kept consistent as last time a fish came in with that name they were maccus.

$40 bucks is a good price.

As for "starlights" . An example of responsible IDing and not.

Mr Pleco has bred them and with all research cant be drawn into an definitive ID although I'm sure he would give you a good guess. But still a lovely little fish.

I hope HFF aren't calling other Rio Ucayali as that name has been drawn from the ether of guesstimate forum threads and it is a shame if they have. they would be guilty of using it for purposes of marketing and definitely not for fact.

Hi Mr Plec

whats your opinion on the ones I purchased?

how did hollywood get all these new fish? have they got their own quarintine facility or did a supplier get them specifically for HFF?

From the commercial section -

We are pleased to announce that we have some very rare and unusual fish out very soon at both our branches.

Sourced from a very reputable importer/exporter of aquarium fish from Germany. Some of these fish have not been imported for many years and may not be again for just as long.

i like em adodge but then i love all plecs hopefully you can breed em as i find local bred have better colouring and may help with correct iding them later on funy thing is they look alot like the "so called " but never were "leopard frog plecs that came in a awhile ago but dont get excited they arent even close but still a lovely plec crickey you guys keep this up and ill have to get a better collection myself starting to get a little envious here :wink:

Hi Mr Plec

whats your opinion on the ones I purchased?

From the commercial section -

We are pleased to announce that we have some very rare and unusual fish out very soon at both our branches.

Sourced from a very reputable importer/exporter of aquarium fish from Germany. Some of these fish have not been imported for many years and may not be again for just as long.

so they sourced them but who imported them :o