Best way to euthanase?

JazzyJeff

Or if you don't have clove oil, rapid immersion in almost frozen water works. All I did was get a cup of water, put it in the freezer till there was ice forming, broke up the ice and quickly drop the fish into the water. Small twitch but then nothing. Can be done with boiling water but is apparently like being cooked alive for the fish. Messier options include blow to the head (instant kill) or decapitation (which may not kill the fish straight away).

Many other methods but clove oil is easily the most peaceful.

http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=15737 A good link for techniques.

HTH

Or you could just buy some clove oil?

Yes, but sometimes there isn't enough time or the shops are out of it? If a fish is in obvious pain and suffering, it's best to end it quickly as possible. Going down to grab some from the shop may take sometime, especially if you're in an isolated area and it needs to be ordered in.

It's just a thought :)

Yes, but sometimes there isn't enough time or the shops are out of it? If a fish is in obvious pain and suffering, it's best to end it quickly as possible. Going down to grab some from the shop may take sometime, especially if you're in an isolated area and it needs to be ordered in.

Get some before that happens? Its one of those things every fishkeeper should have in the cupboard....

:wink:

Universities follow very similar protocols for fish euthanization, these are either to overdose on clove oil or hit the fish hard directly on the top of the head (between the eyes) as their skull is soft. Best method depends on the size of the fish. Small fish=overdose, larger fish = knocked.

These have been reviewed by animal ethics as being the most humane methods.

It is a natural analgaesic and antibiotic. Often an old time remedy suggested for toothache and indeed, some dentists used to use it before anaesthetics were available.

lol i will re phrase my question....havent heard of it used for fish b4?

i use it for toothache all the time at the moment for my wisdom teeth because im allergic to most pain medication :roll: