Cherry Shrimp - Import Application

piggyvir

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The application of the rules has changed. Years ago if you had a disease in imported fish you treated it. Now you are not allowed to treat it until Maf tells you what the disease is and what to treat it with and by then the fish are probably dead. If they think there is a disease they take samples and send them off to be tested (this can cost thousands of dollars) then they destroy the fish or tell you what to treat with and by then the fish are dead. If there is no disease it still costs thousands of dollars. This is part of the reason why there are less and less people importing.

wow - that's a lot of inspections.

Stella - sorry about my ignorance. I came from a place where everything is accessible and people and animals are still living ok. (I have to admit that clean air is not available though)

It's still a shame that the variety we have is relatively limited. Just a question - why dont' they sell native fish in the shop and breed them? they will promote their growth, wouldn't it???

wow - that's a lot of inspections.

Stella - sorry about my ignorance. I came from a place where everything is accessible and people and animals are still living ok. (I have to admit that clean air is not available though)

It's still a shame that the variety we have is relatively limited. Just a question - why dont' they sell native fish in the shop and breed them? they will promote their growth, wouldn't it???

Because, for the most part they're boring brown lumps.:P

Because, for the most part they're boring brown lumps.:P

Nope, Ira's not a stirrer! :P

Not a boring brown lump:

2008_10_02035Medium.jpg

Piggyvir, actually some people are selling them to petshops, namely Mahurangi Tech. While they are doing some breeding, a decent proportion of our native fish can not be bred in captivity because the juveniles need to go to sea for a few months after they hatch (hence the whitebait runs of all the juvenile fish returning from sea).

I have written a book on keeping native fish in aquaria (nearly published) and am generally trying to encourage the hobby so that people become more aware of their existence. I had not heard of them myself before I saw them in a tank at the pet shop!

I am involved in creating this awesome public native aquarium in Turangi, and the aquarium water discharges into a stream that goes to Lake Taupo. You wouldn't believe the mental gymnastics involved in trying to come up with a way of not spreading any new organisms into the lake - pest fish, diseases, didymo, zooplankton, phytoplankton etc! We do not even know what we are guarding against (are there catchment-specific diseases etc?) nor can we even see what we are avoiding, so a fish may get through quarantine fine but then some nasty might be lurking in the water that then destroys the Taupo trout fishery! :o

I *know* it is overkill, but we have to be doing it by the book, and much though I dislike trout, I don't want that on my CV! ;)

• 2 weeks later...