... What the?

Heir

Ummm...

Does anyone know what this weird slimey stuff taking over the tank is... and how to get rid of it??

The lights are on for currently 9 hours..

Used to be running a C02 system, but not at present.

Gets flourish excell... been over dosing...

hohum...

Thanks!

:bounce:

Slime02.jpg

Slime.jpg

It looks like blue green algae / cyanobacteria at first sight. :evil:

I think a broad spectrum antibiotic is supposed to get rid of it - if my diagnosis is correct.

Is it only on the java fern, or is it spreading all over?

Remove as much as you can physically before you treat (if you treat).

found this for you

Spirulina (genus)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Spirulina

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Bacteria

Division: Cyanobacteria

Class: Cyanophyceae

Order: Oscillatoriales

Genus: Spirulina

Spirulina is a genus of cyanobacteria. As a photosynthetic organism capable of fixing nitrogen, its nutrient limitations are relatively low.

one of mine is riddled with it too... and of course its my 'display' tank in the lounge lol. Left lights off for a couple of days and put a sheet over it, seems to be 80% gone now, lots of clear patches on the glass. Will have to siphon all the bits out and then see about the rest...

it comes about through too much nutrient and not enough waterchages.

Manual removal and stepping up the waterchanges can do the trick. And/or blackout as recommended above.

Try solving the problem before you hit the symptom with expensive drugs :)

(sometimes you do have to resort to drugs, but I prefer hitting the problem first)

I found water changes and blackout didn't do any good, it just came right back. I was doing near 90% water changes every couple days and it had popped up in a couple of my tanks. Dosed it with E(From our local south island dealer) and it's never come back.

I found water changes and blackout didn't do any good, it just came right back. I was doing near 90% water changes every couple days and it had popped up in a couple of my tanks. Dosed it with E(From our local south island dealer) and it's never come back.

How'd that affect your bio-filter?

I had the same too Ira.I also found if you increase water movement it helps.

Does she know you refer to her as youe E dealer?? :lol: :wink:

Due to some people voicing concerns about this matter, we would like to point out that Erythromycin is a prescription only drug and therefore we believe it may be illegal to distribute it.

Most of you know I am actually one who has offered some in the past as I know two doctors who have been happy to give me the small amount required to do the job. One was intrigued with why I wanted it and actually ended up eventually getting an aquarium himself. 8)

I am more concerned with those who have some to offer because they did not finish the course prescribed by their doctor. Erythromycin is an antibiotic. If you are prescribed these you should finish the whole course. If you do not do so your body can build up immunity to these drugs and they lose their effectiveness. We have trouble already with super bugs appearing.

We would like to point out that the FNZAS does not condone the illegal distrbution of prescription medicines.