Motercycle ACC fees

Charlie

Who thinks this is a good idea???

I do!!! most and im not saying all are far to stupid to be drving a bike. I have nearly killed one by overtaking on a passing bay when i have gone to turn??? I mean come on!!! they need to rethink on how people get their licence, i for one think that a sanity test should be taken!!!

I do!!! most and im not saying all are far to stupid to be drving a bike. I have nearly killed one by overtaking on a passing bay when i have gone to turn??? I mean come on!!! they need to rethink on how people get their licence, i for one think that a sanity test should be taken!!!

Charlie - sorry have to disagree with you there - yes there are some idiots on bikes that give most bikers a bad name - but this fee hike is unjust !!! how would you like to be told that you have to pay 400 % more acc levy for your car rego to cover the costs of the imaginary figures some bureaucrats have made up !!

im stopping now before i go insane !!

i don't think its a situation of good idea or not, its simply the total cost divided by the amount of people contributing. A high % of bikers are injured so the "each cost" is alot higher. A friend works at ACC & one thing we don't see in the figures is the amount of cost generated by deceased bikers.

Feel free to go over to http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz and tell 10,000 bikers its a bad idea!

i'm sure they already think its a bad idea but thats exactely the problem, if there were a car drivers forum the members could be as high as 1 million. 1 million people paying for a small % (10,000 people) of its members will have a low premium but 10,000 people paying for a high % (5000 people) of its members will have a high premium. its how many people that are contributing to the cost determines how much each person pays.

if there were half as many people paying income tax then the govt would need to take more to cover the same costs of the population. :)

I think they need to start targeting mountain bikers and other cyclists, they get hit by cars as often if not more, but at least motor cyclists try and wear some half decent protective gear. There's no reason they couldn't have a registration just like other vehicles on the road, or as a start charge a levy when bikes are sold same as "on road costs" they charge for other vehicles.

most and im not saying all are far to stupid to be drving a bike

I don't ride anymore cause I could see how dangerous and stupid it was. But to give motorcyclist's their due, at least most of them can spell motorcyle. :lol:

Was this put on here to provoke people and cause a reaction?

People ride bikes not drive them for starters.

Its not the fact that motorcyclists pay acc its the fact that its a no fault system and if the new legislation goes ahead as planned you'll be riding your pushbike along and paying to do it in case you have an accident and need rehabilitation.

Whats a passing bay?

Id also like to point out that most avid motorcyclist own more than one bike as well as a car.

I can only ride one bike at a time, so why should I pay $600x2?

2 bikes doesnt mean im twice as likely to need to claim acc :lol:

I also have private healthcare. Whats the point in public medical care when there is no care?

Last time I got taken out by a car, I walked to the main desk at north shore hospital, covered in blood and barely able to walk, as well as concussed. Women at the desk gave me about 4 forms to fill in, and said 'someone may see you within two hours' and walked off. I edit admin walked out.

Heres some of the info from the Auckland rally today -

ACC claims 'the levy on motorcycles should be $3700 each'

There are 100000 registered motorcycles. That comes to $370 million. More than the total ACC cost for ALL vehicles for all active claims since 1974.

ACC claims 'Every car driver subsidises motorcycles by $77'

That works out at $250 million every year. But the total paid out by ACC for motorcycles is only $62 million. On that basis motorcycles wouldn't have to pay any levy.

and this is from me (my opinion, please note)

ACC was set up as a 'no fault compensation scheme which would pay for your rehabilitation to get back to work' and when they introduced ACC they removed the right to sue anyone responsible for any injuries they caused. If a cyclist or a rugby player has an accident atm they are rehabilitated under ACC, yet they pay no ACC levies. Now ACC is picking on motorcyclists to pay more than their fair share and are quoting facts and figures that are far from correct yet refuse to answer any questions put to them.

Guys

The whole point is that ACC is broke

Yes rugby and others may need to pay in the future as well and it should be looked at but Im certain that I cant afford to run my company at a loss and ACC cant either

Simple economics really isnt it

Put another way, your income for you and your partner is say $1000 per week but you spend $1200 per week, whats going to happen?

Maybe the answer is to ban motorcycles from any roads and have those injured pay for them selves as would rugby players and others?

Instead of the bikers saying it isnt fair (looks for crying emocon) maybe they should be offering solutions?

The whole reliance on nanny state is whats distroying this country. My business turns over $700,000 per year. Not a lot but sizable enough. Out of that turnover about $150,000 goes in all direct taxation (and thats on the conservative side). Thats ACC, GST, PAYE, Fuel, Provisional, Perks tax. (I know Ive missed a few)

Next thing to look at is value for your dollar. 20 years ago, those that worked for the government were paid a bit less but had greater security, now those same people have still got the greater security but also are amoungst the better paid but almost all produce huge losses. ACC is a great example.

Look at local government and the wastes that they produce. When the average wage in NZ was $30,000 per year, the average wage of my local council was $38,000 per year.

I know I digress but the problem is not only with what the injuries that bikes cost me as a tax/ACC payer, its all the related costs that go with it and am included in the figures that both sides put up to try an make the figures work for them best.

Anyone that pays as an employer, ACC levies, will know and agree with me when I say that all the paper work that arrives from ACC makes no sence at all and you need several phone calls before you even partially understand them plus of course, if you throw in the paper work from the IRD, South America would still be totally covered in forest.

ACC may be broke (although I hear they have $12 billion) but thats no reason to target or pick on one group of road users. Motorcyclists may suffer greater injury if they have an accident but perhaps the cause - 80% of accidents are caused by motor vehicles - should be targeted as well. A range of levies could be introduced for cars as well 1000cc or less $500, under 1600cc $750, over 2000cc $1000. Rest assured, when they have finished with motorcyclists another group will be next because it won't stop there.

IMO Sports players particularly those playing contact sports should pay ACC levies as part of their sports membership.

On another note -

ACC pays out for ridiculous things and I'll site an example. My husband pulled out a tic which had attached to his wrist. 10 days later and there was a large red infected lump on his wrist where the tic had been. Off to A & E - he put down it was medical and the Dr told him it was ACC!!!!

The main point is that is was set up as a no blame situation so therefore if blame is going to be placed does that mean we will now be allowed to sue?

there was a good turnout in wellington today - and like its been said above if they raise the acc levy for cars by $77 then that covers all the money that is being spent on bike accidents... get some real accountants in acc to do the math cause the current clowns running the show dont know - Edit Admin -