October 1, 200917 yr comment_332903 I just saw these advertised on TV thought it would be cool to get some for my son. Has Any one had these and are they cool? And..... are they safe for my fish to eat? Not that I am getting them as feeders but just thought I would ask Report
October 1, 200917 yr Author comment_332906 I thought they were just brine shrimp They are some type of Artemia, but not sure what sort of stuff they are doing to them before they package them and sell them lol Report
October 1, 200917 yr Author comment_332912 lol Yeah I know Caryl... mainly want them for the young man to watch but hey, if I get fish food out of it... all good Report
October 1, 200917 yr comment_332925 my first contact with sea monkeys was on the back of comics about 50 years ago I got them twice and they were brine shrimp eggs Great food for the fish (I feed at least once a day) and cheap as well if you buy the tins. Keep then (the tins) in the fridge for the best results then hatch at 24 to 28 cel. 24 to 36 hours is best for gathering and feeding. Its very important to keep plenty of movement in the sea water so I have a naked air hose bubbling quickly at the bottom of the bottles Report
October 1, 200917 yr comment_332930 Hi bedazzled. Pegasus wrote this article which you may find helpful http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/man ... hrimp.html Report
October 2, 200917 yr Author comment_332973 Hi bedazzled. Pegasus wrote this article which you may find helpful http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/man ... hrimp.html Cool article ok, so I am the perfect consumer :lol: I went out and I bought the sea monkeys ok, so I could have hatched my own brine shrimp, I even have eggs here lol but my son dosen't show a huge interest in the fish tanks so I thought him having his own little "tank" might just be the thing that sparks a real interest. Will be adding the eggs later today lol and I am sure we will have fun Report
October 2, 200917 yr comment_332977 Pour in some coffee and watch them grow at 100x the speed! Super charged shrimp! :lol: But seriously, don't add coffee. Report
October 2, 200917 yr comment_332988 I had some a while ago.If you heat the water they can get quite big for brine shrimp (1 1/2 cms some times) Report
October 2, 200917 yr comment_332991 if you are getting actual seamonkeys i woulnd feed them to your fish because of what you add to them. my friend just got some, and i got a little ant farm its so much fun :bounce: Report
October 2, 200917 yr comment_332995 Ant farms are awesome :bounce: , I use to have one when I was younger :bounce: Report
October 2, 200917 yr comment_333011 i have to keep watering my ants cuz it gets too hot ha ha ha Report
October 3, 200917 yr comment_333281 where did the ants come from? instant life egg pouches aye? lolz Report
October 4, 200917 yr comment_333404 I got an ant farm for christmas and had 3 different lots of ant escape out the air holes! I'm guessing American ants are bigger than NZ ants. Report
October 4, 200917 yr comment_333421 I got an ant farm for christmas and had 3 different lots of ant escape out the air holes! I'm guessing American ants are bigger than NZ ants. Ahhh...Yes. First time I saw an NZ ant I had to look really close and say, "That's an ant?" Here's an average Alaskan ant... Report
October 4, 200917 yr comment_333439 Jeez guys, didnt you know the best part is the cool tank with the little magnifying viewing windows! And the great little spoon for feeding what smells like green tea? Now if san fran supplied them with their brine shimp i would definatly buy them! Report
October 4, 200917 yr comment_333440 The stuff you feed them is basically "spiralina", it's dried out algae. In Aquaculture, you feed Artemia salina to stock within 24hours of hatch, or you have to start feeding them algae to get nutrition out of them. Depending on what nutrients you want, you can use different strains of algae too. So you end up keeping algae to feed to brine shrimp to feed to fish.... Theres also all sorts of optimum ratios and envronmental conditions. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.