MAFia at it again!

sharn

Heads up guys, the 'powers that be' have decided no more straight leaf vallis at all, its far to hard for the goobers to tell apart from the other banned sorts so Americana is to be no more. Got a visit at work to let us know, apparently it was decided last night and they have yet to let any wholesalers know :roll: Twisted and Spirilis is still ok apparently. Break out the photoshop to remove it from any of your pics! :lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I thought about the Siamese fighters they destroyed at the border. Funny how my destroy them yet many of us keep them as pets... I can't imagine fighters surviving our regular temps let alone all year round. And even if they did, the natives would thrash them, they were fancy's I think.

So I should ask MAF?

(pokes tongue out at SamH)

See, I *only* know about natives. I haven't a clue what species you are talking about! ;)

It is also illegal to bring in goldfish, because they can be indistinguishable from small koi, who are a noxious pest.

There may be something similar with these plants.

There can be many other reasons for not allowing in certain things other than posing a direct threat to our ecosystems. Twinkles mentions another: disease.

I wonder how many people will complain about this change while being unaware of the native plants species that work well in tropical tanks.

Actually I wasn't going to post there, then saw you mentioned my name :roll: :P

Native shrimp can survive in tropical tanks, but they die sooner. Basically they have a high oxygen requirement. Warm water means less oxygen as well as their metabolism running higher so they need more oxygen. You condemn them to an early oxygen-deprived death...

(native shrimp start as males and grow up to be females - only species that does this! Really, am not hijacking....)

So a high CO2 planted tank at 26 is a no go then?

I wonder how MAF would react if I sent them an email asking why they won't let me have shrimp. I might send them one, just can't be bothered right now, it'd look all informal and misspelt.

Keeping in mind that MAF regularly troll this, and other local forums, they no doubt have already read your post.

Keeping in mind that MAF regularly troll this, and other local forums, they no doubt have already read your post.

Well good! Maybe they'll decide to research whether those shrimp should be allowed in the future! I want some too :P

I'm more concerned about the val becoming illegal. I don't really know what my plants are called but i only got them from other fish keepers and the pet store so I really don't want be fined for having something that is banned yet i didn't knowingly go out and try to import it! That's what i think is a bit silly about these situations. The plants WAS legal and now isn't legal....but its already largely present in NZ!!! The average Joe won't be regularly checking MAF websites and trying to ID the plants that he just bought at a pet shop because he thought they looked nice! Punish the people knowingly importing the stuff not the general public. If MAF showed up at my door i'd happily let any of my plants be confiscated if their legality was recently changed...but it'd be pretty low if they fined me thousands of dollars! If you want to irradiate a species that has been decided to be a threat to NZ, you need to have public support...make them aware and WANT to help...not scare them into hiding their aquarium pics because they're afraid of getting in trouble!

There are two levels of prohibition on plants. The national level---like anacharis and the Regional level like straight val was in Auckland and Waikato. Generally you can keep but not propagate,commercially advertise or display, or sell. How you stop a healthy plant from propagating I have no idea. This does not apply of course to the plants that were smuggled and resulted in a visit to me and others after buying from trademe.

Gold fish were prohibited from import after a disease was found on imported goldfish in Australia which could have been a threat to the native fish eating trout and salmon in NZ.

I emailed them and here's what I got:

Hi Sam Please see the attached document for the process of adding a species tothe import health standard for ornamental fish and marine invertebrates. Species are not added to the import health standard without an initialrequest. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. Kind regards Erin Maher | Animal Import Advisor | Animal Imports and Exports Group |MAF Biosecurity New Zealand

Need to have a read through the document and request for them to be added, eh?

Thats correct, this is what the FNZAS are here for, we are a lobby group (we have lost our way recently but are on the improve) I need to look into it more but I believe that it only costs about $50 to get a fish or invert considered but realisticly it holds more water when sent in from the FNZAS Fish Committee (its supposed to be what they do but no one approches them to do it or is willing to stump up the $$) It is something I want to get moving but as usual time is always short.

Sam please forward me that email. I will be happy to help you out (especially if you are a member of a club :wink: )

owen(at)hennessydotcodotnz

Cheers

Owen

They have changed their minds! Now we can sell what we have, but not order any more and the suppliers are not allowed to sell it to us any longer... Cant be too desperate to control it now can they :roll: Not sure about the legalities of trading privately and it sounds like MAF dont really know themselves!