canister filter quick question

diver21

What? The cannister doesn't care where it is in relation to the tank. The only time it would matter is when the cannister is empty if it's above the tank it's harder to get it filled by siphoning from the tank into the cannister. After that you could hang it from the ceiling if you wanted.

ok. this is new.

the cannister filters i have dealt with have to be below the tank. infact some of them have to be a certain distance below the tank. reason being that there is an optimal level for the height between the tank and the filter - any higher and the gravitational force on the water will make the speed slower (downflow) and; any lower, and the pump cant push all that water back up too well, and it slows down any how.

the manuals even mention distances/ cant be bothered reading it now, but if i find the thing tomorrow ill update this.

the actual flow rates are only achieved when the distance between the tank and filter is optimal. That's why the stock tubing comes in such a weird size, its not really to make people buy more of it or find substitutes.

ive tried different levels on eheims and the difference was immediately apparent.

ok. this is new.

the cannister filters i have dealt with have to be below the tank. infact some of them have to be a certain distance below the tank. reason being that there is an optimal level for the height between the tank and the filter - any higher and the gravitational force on the water will make the speed slower (downflow) and; any lower, and the pump cant push all that water back up too well, and it slows down any how.

the manuals even mention distances/ cant be bothered reading it now, but if i find the thing tomorrow ill update this.

Except that's how it works in an open system like a sump, not a closed loop like a cannister. The pump does not have to lift the water back up. Gravity does that all on its own. The only reason you want to keep the cannister closer to tank level is to minimise hose lengths, longer hose=more friction=lower flow.

I put my CF1200 on a table so it was even height with the base of the tank - in the hope that the pump doesnt have to work quite as hard and hence better flowrate.

This didnt work well as it kept making the pressurising noise like when air is in the system.

If your pump is 3 metres below the water level on the tank then it has three metres of water each side of the pump therefore having positive 3 metres pressure and negative 3 metres pressure so the only work it has to do realy is against the friction loss in the pipes. The same thing would conversely apply if it was 3 metres above the tank.

here it is:

1. REmember, this is a gravity fed system. For it to work properly, all the installation instructions below must be adhered to.

>The cannister base must never be below 4.5ft (1.5m) below the water level

>Hosing must follow a straight path from the filter to the aquarium rim with some slack but no loops

>The water should never be below more than 7in (17.5cm) below your aquarium rim.

>NEVER install the filter above the water level (In bold)

>Intake tube should not be placed in close proximity to an air source

straight from my fluval manual. it applies to any and all fluvals on the market. same deal with the eheims.

I find that if my canisters are beside or above my tanks then they accumulate air in them and eventually stop. same the the new fluvals, they get air in them but dont stop, they just pump the air out into the tank. so IMO i would keep it below the tank, then you wont have to worry about anything :D and probably best to replace the impeller also to reduce any further damage to the impeller well etc.

I have a manual for Fluval 104, 204, 304 & 404. It says;

Place the filter in desired location beside or beneath the aquarium. Since the filter uses gravity feed, ensure the filter is stationed below the water level of the aquarium. The it has an outlined box with these words in bold Filter must never be installed above water level.

My Jebo 819 manual says "It must use below the water surface of the tank".

It alo says "Move the machine by holding its bottom, not only the ouches, other wise the ouches and the machine body will be broken, water will enter and cause accident" :lol:

And then there's the "In case of accident, pull off the power plugs of this machine and other electrical appliances which may also cause leakage of electricity and fire."