Varanophile

Iszac

Like I said before, I understand where MAF is coming from but I think that what was once legal to import should remain that way or at least until there is plenty in the country for people to purchase at a decent price. I mean $1500.00 for a LG is quite alot for me. And they are desert animals that most likely won't stand a chance in the NZ wilderness due to natural environment conditions alone let alone cats and other predators. And whites tree frogs were actually introduced to NZ.

i just had an idea, what about a registration system like cars. You pay each year to keep spmething exotic & when it dies you "surrender the plates" so to speak. that way they can track what is going on but now i have thought of the problems when they breed ........ & policing it ...... just an idea.

If we had a permit system like AUZ does then we wouldnt have so many issues... If we had a list of what we could have again... less issues??? makes sense??? couple of days work could save many $$$$ and upset keepers...

i swear i did not read this beofre i got my idea :o

There is one point I havent seen mentioned and that is reptiles and amphibians kept at zoos. If the zoos have had them for a number of years presumably without any problem diseases and have had success breeding them , then maybe they should be allowed to sell them to the public, as long as they are not a realistic risk to our wildlife 0f course. Makes sense to me but I may be missing something. (I am not including natives in this group).

the whole thing is big joke really.Things like chameleons that could not survive in the wild for any length of time,no way can`t have them,don`t even think about it.Water dragons can survive winter time by hibernation ,active and predatory,may even breed in a few select areas/microclimates???available for sale to any body with the money???

How aromatic :) Yup, we are all aware that there are many exotic species of reptiles in NZ that wouldn’t stand a chance of survival in the local environment, but MAF is going to want more than just the opinions of reptile enthusiasts…

A technique that has gained a lot of credibility lately is bioclimatic modelling; essentially comparing a species' climate parameters that they encounter in their native range to an area of interest (in our case, NZ). Obviously it takes more than just a climate match to say that a species can establish somewhere, but climate is going to be a big factor, more so for reptiles than other types of animals.

I have recently completed a bioclimatic model for red-eared sliders in NZ which is due out for publication soon. It shows most of NZ being climatically unsuitable for slider establishment, with a few marginally suitable areas in the Far North. It would be easy enough to run this type of predictive model with any other species that we want. If anyone is keen for more info, feel free to contact me.

Also, for you Wellingtonians, you can see a blurb about my turtle stuff in today’s Dominion Post.

Cheers,

Heidy.