Pleco ID please

phoenix44

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks caryl :D

I doubt they are clowns dixon. see the top fin. also the colour is off - no spots or anything.

Im thinking its a >Peckoltia of some description. mouth does not look like a panaque

wonder what they are.

i am happy though

:( i don't want them to be leopard frogs :lol:

they are tooo common! :lol:

but honestly the colours are totally different (as far as shade goes); the size of the bands on this fish are wider.

then again, maybe it is.

thanks for the help, keep it coming! :D

It’s not a Peckoltia as it’s got the wrong tooth pattern, although it may have been called a tiger ‘Peckoltia’. It looks like its got spoon-shaped teeth. I agree with Jamosfish. It’s a dwarf Panaque (Panagolus) species, possibly L002 - apparently the most common of many similar looking ‘tiger pleco’ L-numbers in the hobby. No doubt once they are given scientific names, some new species will comprise more than one L-number. Have a look at L002/L074, L169, L206, L271, L306, L397, L398, L403. Some can be ruled out but not others. I've got some juveniles that were called L271's in the shops but I doubt they are that species. They look very similar, if not identical to yours.

Exactly the point I wa trying to make Flatfish, The ID I gave is of an unknown fish with no L number.

Getting a fish and looking for an ID off the net is fine as long as you are willing to come up with no definitive answers. Ruling out a fish based on how common it is or isn't is a waste of time unless you are thinking of becomming a plec importer in NZ it would seem.

Flatfish - I was under the impression that the term panogolus had been dropped 4-5 yrs ago, losing favour with the wider scientific community who didn't pick up on the move from DATZ, and genus name has reverted to Panaque.

Seems that this guy could be a number as Flatfish has listed.

How many of those fish are known to have been brought in the last few years. the fish aren't juvi's so they may have been here for a few years.

Based on the fact alone I'm surprised you passed over L226 , ('Changae', 'Iquitos tiger') as they were imported in numbers 3-5yrs ago as well as being bred here.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=761

Also Phoenix have a closer look at the way people are holding their plecs on the web.

It is more of point of fore finger on top of head and behind eyes and thumb on abdomen behind the mouth.

That is probably the most sensitive part of the fish so the mouth shouldn't be touched if possible.

trying to get a definitive answer on I.D. of some of these plecs must be nigh on impossible

until you know the distinguishing features that set one from the other, teeth, scaling. buccal flaps, fin shapes or number of rays, colouration and patterning it is just an approxamation of what it may be

trying to get a definitive answer on I.D. of some of these plecs must be nigh on impossible

until you know the distinguishing features that set one from the other, teeth, scaling. buccal flaps, fin shapes or number of rays, colouration and patterning it is just an approxamation of what it may be

:bounce:

also add -adult size, clouration changes in fish during its development, potential stress colouration,

locational varieties, variation in water quality, current vs filtration, and the very possibility that it made it to NZ as

unidentified species and is therefore a good price for the importer.