Rescaped tank ideas? (Pictures)

SamH

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Take care with collecting aquatic plants from the wild, not not because of introducing critters (very few will actually cause harm, most are fish food or inconsequential. The majority of aquaria have invertebrates the owner was not aware were in there)

Most of the aquatic plants you see in streams are exotics and can be very invasive and damaging to our natural ecosystems - clogging streams and changing the habitat for the plants and fish etc that are supposed to be there. Many are now considered noxious and people are banned from owning them (nice big fines). Most of them are escapees from home aquaria.

Try to learn what you have got, and even if they are not banned, make sure you dispose of an plant trimmings etc in a way that will not enter a stream - the compost heap is great.

Remember, if you are tipping aquarium water down a sink or outside drain and it has got plant pieces in it (even tiny), the plant could invade your local streams.

FNZAS has got some interesting articles linked under 'plants' on the homepage about what is and is not allowed, identifying them and also some stuff on NIWA looking into the use of native aquatic plants in tropical aquaria to help stop the spread of exotics.

(This is directed generally, not just a Sam :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! Algae bloom is getting worse, just when I thought this tank was turning out alright. :x

I'm planning on doing a blackout and not feeding for a few days. Will this affect the plants too badly? :-? Or is it better to just leave them in the green water?

Thanks

i had a problem with green water in one of my tanks, in the end i put a piece of that tank backing picture stuff on top for a few days, it filtered out enough light to stop the green water growing. Then filled the top with duckweed and i think its sorted :)

Oh yes, good ol' duck weed. No thanks, this is my planted tank, I'll never get rid of it! It's thriving in ym 80L breeder though :D .

Covered it in black fabric, replaced CO2 line with regular airline. No lights, no feeding, will see how it goes after three days. Added the CO2 line to my 27L so I don't waste anything.

:evil: :evil: Blacked out tank, had a peep in this avo and the algae has gotten worse!

Hopfully it'll all die soon though, I'm getting rather annoyed...

Clay balls, apparently the mixture is 50:50 PMDD and Clay. Just roll them up and let them dry for a bit, maybe add a bit of sand.

To start move the fish,

then drain most of the water away so as to not ruin anything but be light enough to be carried by 1/2 people

place the tank on the floor or on a table to be able to move the draws

move the draws to desired position

place tank back on draws

fill tank back up

add fish

and voila!!!! :bounce:

(hope you have fun :D)

• 4 weeks later...

I gave the plants their 1st haircut today :D and removed all the plants on the left hand side. Most of them had algae on the bottom of their new growth but I trimmed that off and now the divided Betta tank is full of plants 8). Had to move the breeder net out into another container and the two fry are doing well. They have grown heaps (1mm :lol: ) but are two different fish I think. One has brown and white bands (kinda like an aNEMOne fish) and the other has a lateral stripe :-? . Unfortunately I hit a clay ball when I was ripping up the old plants, hence the very cloudy tank. The hairgrass has spread right around the back of the rocks and a bit around the front, disturbed that too :evil: :roll: . Hoping that the blank area will fill in with hairgrass, might move the moss later too.

Here's the tank before the trim:

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

And here's it after:

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

Enjoy :wink: