Rescaped tank ideas? (Pictures)

SamH

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with 4 18w tubes and heapsa CO2, I'd hope that my plants grow fast! :lol: They kinda just grew and when they hit the surface, slowed down heaps. The Riccia really took off though.

That's my left hand, I use my right hand to take the pics. It's just plain old Java Moss, it can be used as a floater but it kinda just hangs in the middle. I used a rubber band to attach it to the rock and it's holding on by itself now.

Oh yours looks alot nicer then mine lol. Maybe because of the lighting though, mines kinda stringy and spread, growing fast though. I dont have any lighting as of yet, might go look into that now acually. Im thinking of making a tank just for plants, I got 2 beautiful ones yesterday, though have no idea what they are called :P One has thick almost looks like land living plant leaves, green on top and red on the bottom, the other almost looks like young fennel.

Looking good Sam.

You have one of each of the killies by the sound of it - the stripy one will be Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Clown killie, and the other one will be Poropanchax normani, Norman's lampeye.

Riccia flutians tied to a rock in a sort of netting way. High light and CO2 are needed. It's a floating plant but looks great, if I may say so myself, tied down.

I got 1 59cm 20w maybe a lil too low for Riccia? its looks amazing sam, I think once my 240 ltr is finished you might notice where i got alot of my ideas from lmao. :hail: Also the standard tubes that a Aqua One AL -20 comes with are they suited for plants or just for the effect it makes in the tank? its like a slightly bluish violet, the colour it brings out in the fish is incredible but im wondering if thats its sole purpose lol.

How many ways can you get CO2 to the plants? Ive seen though stone looking things

I got all my ideas from from various aquascaping websites, this tank doesn't even compare. The intensity of my light is only 18w but the total power of all four tubes is 72w. I put CO2 straight onto my filter outlet through an airline in my DIY reactor. You can add stuff like Flourish Excel, a liquid CO2 like supplement. The stones you see are probably diffusers, the only help disperse CO2, not create it.

Zev- I removed the breeder net into an icecream container full of tank water after spending 5 mins trying to suck them out with a pipette, they're fine, getting less afraid of me by the day. I might like some more... :P

Also the standard tubes that a Aqua One AL -20 comes with are they suited for plants or just for the effect it makes in the tank? its like a slightly bluish violet, the colour it brings out in the fish is incredible but im wondering if thats its sole purpose lol.

How many ways can you get CO2 to the plants? Ive seen though stone looking things

The standard tube is an 18000k. not the right spectrum for plants. I changed mine out of my AL20 for a daylight tube (7000k) and its heaps better.

Heres the difference between the standard tube and a daylight tube: (water was a bit cloudy in first shot)

nano3001.jpg

nanotank123010.jpg

As for C02, Flourish excel is a liquid fert to be used daily, its a good start before you figure out where you want to go to next.

I have the AL30D running on my 3 footer with 1x 4000k tube and 1x Bio-Lux tube (kinda pinky). Is that the 18000k tube?

To anyone considering buying lights from the LPS or LFS, you can do DIY for much cheaper. I bought the AL30D for $130 and it was a second, made the whole thing on this tank for just over $45 incl. shipping. If you have the skills, give it a go.

I'll have it Morcs! How old is it though?

18000K tubes are power glos.

if they are not power glos, they are not 18000K. (EDIT- aqua glos are also 18000K - forgot that one)

morcs- that tube is so dull im thinking it is not 18000K - not unless its made by someone i don't know about -which is totally possible.

its just something some marketing dude came up with.

basically each type of tube is given a name - like plant pro, powerglo, bio-lux, flora pro, aqua glo etc etc.

power glos have to be really really bright. and i mean unusually bright for a tube. this where the power part of its name comes from. it also is an 18000K tube.

life glos for example are 6700K

this is where it gets confusing.

aqua glos are also 18000K - just like the power glos - but are not as bright, because they are not the "powerful" ones - this is how i remember it.

The wattage of the tube is the same across the same size range - but the amount of light (in intensity) varies.

you can get a dull 36W tube, and also get a really bright 36 W tube; thus my argument against the whole WPG calculation.

eg- I have t5 High Outputs (54W x2) which use a total of 108W of power - but definitely emmit more light than 108W of "normal" light. thus the $200+ price difference.

In the same way a 36W power glo is brighter than a 36W aquaglo.

You can also look at the tubes and compare them if you don't believe me :lol:

kk hehe this one might take some looking into then, thanks p44 your a champ. Im guessing that most of the light apart from the plant pro are more about the light effect in the visual aspect of the tank rather then the growing of the plant? Powerglo seems a lil mean on the fish to me now lol. 150000 like what im running now is bright as it may as well be day time in the tanks. Newbie Q. your not supposed to leave these on overnight right? My fish are sleeping soundly at the moment with it on but I sure wouldnt like it, only have it on coz im looking in the tank, had some free swimming fry appear from out of the gravel so im watching it like a hawk. Parents are rounding them up now, maybe eating them but I can see a few swimming around dad.

I don't leave the lights on at night cause I don't want to muddle around with the plant's photo periods (yes the plants are a lot more important than the fish) :lol:

That and the electricity costs would kill in the long term as I have a lot of lights.

Lights on my main tank go on in the morning at 8.30 and go off at 8.30pm

Lights on the plant tank are on at 9.00 and are off at 9.00pm (2-3 hours of morning and evening sunlight too).

works a treat.