Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Plec ID help please

Featured Replies

HAHAH i was there when you were i presume you were the one with the camera? how much was it as there wasnt a price on the tank? also that other smaller pleco that looked similar is that for sale as there wasnt a price for that as well?

  • Author
Surely World of Water should know what they have ordered in :roll:

Unless it was brought in by a Customer if course :-?

It was ordered and supplied as a flat head gold nugget.

on my request they questioned the wholesaler his reply was at first.

What colour are its markings? Gold

does it have a flat head? Yes

Its a flat head gold nugget then.

Duh!

when pushed he said it was hoploancistrus tricornis

its not :evil:

They had/have one at animates down here, just the same.

Ordered in af flat head gold nugget.

I trawled through planet catfish for hours trying to find it.

  • Author
HAHAH i was there when you were i presume you were the one with the camera? how much was it as there wasnt a price on the tank? also that other smaller pleco that looked similar is that for sale as there wasnt a price for that as well?

Other one? i didnt see that one! they did just put in a gold seam while i was there.

As for cost.. not too bad $170.

Im super sure its a mature male I'd love to find a female and try breeding them.

  • Author

Looks like there may be a few available then..great!

lets all keep our eyes open for potential females and keep this fish circulating.

i have posted on PC and plecofanatics for an ID...fingers crossed.

Yeh Im sure it was a male it was fanning, I talked to the owner of the goldfish bowl and he has them on his list aslo as flat head gold nugget. I asked him to phone the suppliers and see if they had a large female or one with no bristles lol. He said he will sell for 160. (p.s I was in there at the same time Mark Elrick BTW).

Could be good if he gets a female and could easily get them breeding ay!

I ordered a pair of long nosed whips to have a crack at breeding.

  • Author

Aha! I knew it was a Pseudancistrus!

Actually Are you sure? all the L67's I can find pics of have round spots

I see you are a registered owner of L67 on PC

hey simian,

those are definitely not the flathead gold nuggets that are on the list. i too got a flathead a wee while ago. definitely NOT what you have.

this is the prob re. ID'ing plecos. wish all wholesalers would use an L number, that would make life slightly easier.

This is what I got as a flathead

DSC01970Large.jpg

It could be Hopliancistrus sp. L017 as this species looks very similar and is occasionally mixed in with Pseudancistrus sp. L067. If its Hopliancistrus it wont have a yellow edge to the dorsal (top) fin and will also have a group of three large 'hooks' behind each gill plate near the belly. As for not having discrete round spots it could just be an unusually patterned example where the spots often merge. Its still largely spotted. Other plecos have variable patterning. Flash plecos usually have thin white stripes over the body but in some specimens the stripes break up into rows of spots.

What is a flathead gold nugget.

It is a name given to a fish by a wholesaler who doesn't have a positive ID from his American supllier hence the price he can get it for, so after six weeks of Quarantine he can get it to a RRP of less than 2 hundy.

Phoenix you are right- that fish is definitely not a flathead gold nuggget because there is no such thing, so why continue with the nomenclature

L67 is the fish you and I have.

Simian -I can't see well enough from your shot, but it is not unlikely that it is another species using the same common name that is unique to our market.

L017?

other recent examples.

L254 brought in as L128

Unknown peckoltia as leopard frog knowing that the name will spark interest and the L# of 134 is assigned by punters who want it to be.

The thing that gets me is that there are so many opportunities to get some wicked fish in under this lackadaisical system that fools itself that it is a bio secure/ecofriendly steel trap yet these guys couldn't run a bath.

  • Author

Yeah Its so dam hard to ID these guys, if they havent been described, one may come from above a waterfall and one below!

stuffed if I know, but hes purty and unusal thats good enuf for me I guess.

Cheers

Owen

  • Author

Looks like I've found a possible female at the goldfish bowl!

I put a deposit on her, now I just need to find some more cash then I can get them jiggying.

  • Author

it comes down to money Im afraid, my power bills up to $450 again this winter despite my insulated fish cupboard so finances are stretched

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.