Ball season begins again

Adrienne

Anyone on here going to the school balls this year. My two daughters went with their boyfriends to the Sacred Heart Ball last night. The younger one (turned 16 last Thursday) was a bit miffed that she was collected at midnight but the older one - 17 yrs went to the afterball and I collected her at 4am this morning.

I went to a private school and some of the girls had dresses designed and sent over from the States..cost their parents a fortune and they would only wear it once.

When we were in the younger years of school we could tell a Ball was coming because most of the older girls were orange with fake tan lol

Hmmm,

It's not only girls that are expensive when it comes to Ball time, can spend just as much on Boys at that time of the Year.

With a New Suit, New Shoes, New Shirt, Tie, Haircut, Ticket for the Ball, then theres the after party :-?

My older daughter turns 18 in 6 weeks so they are two years apart at school.

She has her own ball this coming Friday - all up its cost me the best part of $1500 for the two balls, dresses, shoes, hair, pre ball and afterball.

heres pics of the two of them

the older of the two

sarah.jpg

and younger sister

katrina.jpg

I don't know about the rest of the country.

The schools up here don't condone after balls but at midnight when the actual ball closes the buses pull up. The kids grab their gear bags which have been stored during the ball in the cloakrooms or corridors and line up with their afterball tickets. The line of buses pulls away to the 'unknown' destination - which in fact it pretty much is. Seems no matter how hard they try they can not see the names of the streets and where they go to.

At 4.00am the buses (about 15 - 20) pull into the huge local supermarket carpark up here and the teenagers (hundreds of them) emerge, climb into the parents cars and are whisked off home.

Huge security, plenty of alcohol etc but most of them seem to have fun and manage to use some self control.

jeepers my school (on the n. shore) called the cops after our ball, and they made sure there was no after ball.

course there was an after ball :lol: . but lots and lots of dogs, and cops and cars to make sure there was nothing like an after ball :o

I went to a private school and got my dress made for me, it was about $800, shoes were $500, bag, hair, makeup...I don't even know how much, tickets were $150 each.

We had an afterball at one of our classmates houses, she hired a band, waiters, bouncers etc. Her parents paid for the people living around them to stay in hotels for the night, so we got crazy drunk and loud and were still partying at 10am. It was really really awesome; totally worth all the money (which I had to pay for myself)

same here had to pay everything myself (except dress which mum bought from overseas) and even my partner's Ball ticket - the worst bit of the ball was that he got me a real pretty orchid corsage for my wrist and I have really bad hayfever :o I suffered hayfever all through the night.

we had a makeup consultation party a few weeks before the Ball too which was fun

Guys have it so easy....

I went to my sixth and seventh form balls. Really not sure what the point was, just a tradition that keeps happening because it is a tradition.

I didn't go to the afterballs. If you parents could hear the students talking about their plans for the afterballs there is no way you would let them go.

Seriously, if you do let them go, have an honest and non-judgemental talk to them about alcohol, sex, give them some condoms (no matter what your personal thoughts)and have an agreement that if anything goes wrong you will help them out, no questions and no telling-offs. Don't fool yourself into some blinkered nostalgic idea of what these things are like.

Not all afterballs or kids get into horrible messes, but they can get very, very messy. Be prepared.

Sounds like fun. The school I went to didn't have a ball. We went to school to get educated, and there was no way my parents would be paying that sort of money for a dance in ponsy gears.

Now theres a novel idea

how unusual, going to school to learn and not to attend expensive parties

god. you 2 are like a pair of dementors!!! :lol: :lol: suck the fun out of school! now why would people choose to go to school if there was no way of having fun? :wink:

(dementors are a "creature" in harry potter that suck the happiness out of people) :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

god. you 2 are like a pair of dementors!!! :lol: :lol: suck the fun out of school! now why would people choose to go to school if there was no way of having fun? :wink:

(dementors are a "creature" in harry potter that suck the happiness out of people) :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

and your point is????? :roll:

:lol:

there would be a whole 3 students in the average class that actually go to school to study and learn.

pretty depressing huh...

Sadly there would be more than that if it wasn't for the negative influence of the other students. Thanks, tall-poppy-cutters!

School balls are yet another way for the wealthy and cool to make the others feel inadequate. Somehow the schools encourage this.

My grandmother made my dress. It was silver with a black lace top. beautiful dress!!

unfortunately, i didn't get to go to the ball :cry: so the dress has never been worn. that was 10yrs ago so now the silver has faded in patches, but i still have the dress.