May 5, 200917 yr comment_304684 wont be much around at this time of the year start again in about sept slows in the warmer jan period then through to about april Report
May 5, 200917 yr comment_304712 If you are up in Auckland some time soon I have enough to give you a started culture atm. Report
May 6, 200917 yr Author comment_304840 Kind offer thanks oeminx - I will keep that in mind next time I head up to the big smoke! Report
May 6, 200917 yr comment_304849 i have some here as well are you setup to keep a supply going? Report
May 6, 200917 yr comment_304892 A container/bucket of aged water is all that needed. Feed them dissolved yeast or green water. I found mine in a farm trough.Pays to let the culture mature several times before harvesting for food supply in case of nasties. Had the culture for a year or so now, still going strong. I have three main plastic bins with several smaller green water making buckets. The fish love them. Report
May 6, 200917 yr comment_304915 what supasi said a warm fairly sunny sot is best for them i put a heater in to take the chill off the water in winter Report
May 6, 200917 yr Author comment_304928 OK - I will get that organised today - how long will the water need to age then? Report
May 7, 200917 yr comment_305081 Next time you do a water cahnge, use the water you take from your tank. Add daphnia and feed lightly. Dont feed again until water clears. easy Report
May 7, 200917 yr comment_305151 Occasionally before I harvets I throw in a handfull of fish flake. Not sure about gut loading but the Daphnia intesify in colour...a lot. Navarre Report
May 8, 200917 yr comment_305168 Best way to gut load them is by feeding them spirulinar powder dissolve in half a bucket of water first. That way you get live food and natural colour enhancer too. Report
May 8, 200917 yr comment_305178 Best way to gut load them is by feeding them spirulinar powder dissolve in half a bucket of water first. That way you get live food and natural colour enhancer too. Where do you get you spirilina powder from Ron? Ive never tried that before with spirilina Report
May 8, 200917 yr comment_305189 Yes, like livingart, from the health shop in powder form. You can feed them with spirulinar and yeast. Report
May 8, 200917 yr comment_305190 I've tried to keep a daphnia culture going a couple of times with no luck. I was wondering how sensitive to temperature fluctuations they are? I only had them in a 10L bucket outside which probably got quite hot in the sun at times, and quite cold at night. Although both times the culture died was during summer in Tauranga, so I don't think they got too cold. Would it be better to have them inside, or in a larger volume of water outside that didn't change temp so much or so quickly? Report
May 8, 200917 yr comment_305191 we use it in our bird handrearing formula, interestingly Spirulina comes from 2 species of cyanobacteria Report
May 8, 200917 yr comment_305192 i have 3 lots going in 30l comtainers in partial shade i heat 1 during the winter Report
May 8, 200917 yr comment_305249 One of our club members gut loads with dried blood - then feeds them to her goldfish fry. Report
June 12, 200917 yr comment_311855 I just fill a container outside with water then leave it and wait. Others get some from people with an established colony. If you know someone with stock troughs, check 'em out. They are often full of daphnia, especially if they have been unused by stock for some time. Daphnia do not seem to travel well and I have always found they die very quickly when transported in a small lidded container. Report
June 12, 200917 yr comment_311856 I just fill a container outside with water then leave it and wait. Others get some from people with an established colony. If you know someone with stock troughs, check 'em out. They are often full of daphnia, especially if they have been unused by stock for some time. Daphnia do not seem to travel well and I have always found they die very quickly when transported in a small lidded container. Caryl, are you SURE you get daphnia? Because they are a fully aquatic creature and i dont see how they would get from a river to a container at your house lol Report
June 12, 200917 yr comment_311857 I have posted pics of them in the past and nobody has ever said they weren't daphnia. They also look like other daphnia I have seen elsewhere. We live near a river, perhaps they can jump Report
June 12, 200917 yr comment_311858 I have posted pics of them in the past and nobody has ever said they weren't daphnia. They also look like other daphnia I have seen elsewhere. We live near a river, perhaps they can jump Argh :lol: Thats just weird :-? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.