Daphnia...

JazzyJeff

Caryl, are you SURE you get daphnia?

Because they are a fully aquatic creature and i dont see how they would get from a river to a container at your house lol

They require a vector, the tiny ones stick to bird feathers when they drink from water with daphnia in it, and let go when the feathers next come into contact with water

Best bet is go for a drive during the summer months and chck out water troughs etc.

The population drops right off during the cooler months. Much easier to find in summer.

Youll know if a trough has themm during summer. The water has a pinkish tinge and you can hardly miss them as there is usually millions per trough.During winter you may have to use a fine net and move it up and down the water colomn and near sides. They tend to rest on bottom or sides when not feeding.

HTH

ok i live up in auckland.. where the heck would i find one in the middle of a concrete jungle? unless of course my understanding of a trough is somethine entirely different... can't i just leave a bucket of water out during summer n pray that i get some daphnia.. lol

• 4 years later...