training a lorikeet?

gem_scott

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis rather chunky, isn't he?

I am with Phoenix on this one, looks like they are sizing Petrie up to see if they could get him in one of their mouths without you noticing - I would not for one second turn your back on them.

Yes i do agree that they look like they could hurt him but they are scaredy cats! i was lucky to get that photo because staight after that Petrie bit Thomas' nose and Slinky was worried that he would attack him too so they both ran away.

Even though we know how pathetic our cats are we never turn our backs when Petrie could get hurt, i assure you that there is nothing to worry about

but thanks for the concern

aww.. he is tiny!

cute!

keep them supervised though :o

Although there are heaps of amazing videos of birds and other animals. I would not like to run the risk.\

i dont think i would trust that dog, thats too much danger for me to ever put my baby in

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Petrie is great! he gets in some bad moods with my boyfriend though, he starts to attack him for no reason! (its so funny)

he can almost say hello, he is immitating the phone, water going down the sink and alot of unrecognisable sounds.

he has just learnt that bobby head dance thing and does it whenever we sing to him.

the cats have left him alone for a while now, i think they are bored of trying to hunt him.

now whenever they see him they kind of play games with him, we walks up to them and they run away playfully so Petrie just chases them all around the house (just like my rats used to do)

the pecking order has always been a little confusing in my house.

hope its not the flu. lori's can get the bugs off humans unfortunately. :cry:

not too sure why he would be afraid of you; only thing i can think of is he may not like the change in voice (if you have a blocked nose or something like that).

PS - hope you get better :)

i am being very careful not to pass it on to Petrie.

thanks for the well wishes :)

it s just a cold, he does get a lil fright when i cough

but i thought he would be used to that as my mum has a lung condition and coughs all the time and he loves her.

owell i guess ill just have to win him back lolz

I have just read all 12 pages of this thread and it is really reassuring to see i am not the only one in the world who adores their bird friend like i totally adore my Muppet. I feel even more alienated when my bird-friend is a lowly unwelcome magpie! It is heart-breaking to see friends, family and guests look upon your treasured baby with disdane and loathing when you understand that your feathered friend is one of the few things that can make you understand what they mean in fiction when they say "their heart soars".

I adore all the little stories of quirks your bird-friends have. Just before i sat down here i was making myself a coffee and got distracted by Muppet tapping on the window trying to drink the condensation drips. She had just been drinking out of the gutter so i dunno why she thought she had to go for condensation too :roll: She got bored with that and battlecried off to do her laps round the house. Which just puts me in hysterics because she battlecries with a wolf whistle at top volume. Wolf whistles are how she tells the neighbourhood she is awake every morning and then she sits in the tallest tree on our property and whistles her "Nah-nah-na-na-nah" and "Waltzing Matilda". She doesn't speak a word of real magpie, everything is just garbled variations of the above 3 tunes.

thanks for this thread. put me in a good mood for the day.

And congrats gem_scott on adding Petrie to your family. Have you thought of taking him for a look around the Pet Expo in August? Would be great to meet you and Petrie.

• 1 month later...

Ok updating!

Petrie is now great!

He has learnt hello, the smoke alarm, the microwave beep, the washing machine beep, the gurgle of water going down the sink, wolf whistle, dog call, almost says hop up, almost learnt meow.

He comes almost everywhere we go and does really well at dealing with annoying children (we know some grabbers).

He loves new attention and people saying hes cute, he even says hello to them sometimes, like to the little bike riding children at the park lol.

We now have a tree around his cage so we can just open it up and he amuses himself.

He has met all the other lorikeets in our area at the pet shops, they get on well.

We can now proudly call ourselves 'bird people'

Grats on him talking :D :bounce: :bounce:

What is your defintion of 'Bird people'?? :D

Having a beak, some feathers and at least vestigial wings I think should do it. A bird with pink skin, fingers and hair on its head would be a people bird...

:bounce: <--Bird smiley attempting to fly.