Reefs Reef Tank

reef

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More updated pics;

Tank is making a great recover from the bleaching episode a few weeks ago.

Water is looking crystal clean.

Coral growth is ok, but could be better.

Po4 is still at about .046ppm and nitrate about 3-4ppm.

Added 2 purple tangs and 3 yellow tangs. Still waiting to add a majestic angel, He has been living in the sump for 4 months, just making sure he does not eat corals. So far so good.

P1010298.jpg

P1010304.jpg

P1010258.jpg

P1010331.jpg

P1010325.jpg

P1010335.jpg

P1010201.jpg

P1010332.jpg

• 2 months later...

Looks good. Is the tank as blue as it looked in the photo?

That Pearl Bubble of yours is MASSIVE.

I think I have that acro frag you have. Mine is purple, with purple/white tips and white polyps. Very nice looking.

PiesFishtank270505_9.jpg

Are you still using the miricle mud? Whats the verdict?

More pics!

Pie

As for me, let me put it this way. Willing to sell CHEAP!!

I may be an outlier though since others rave about it. I just haven't been able to get the algae to grow no matter what I do. :evil: That being said, I never intended to use it for nutrient export since my tests have always been zero. I suppose I am still benefiting from the minerals that it leaches over time, but I don’t test for those and thus really have no idea. Basically, the only reason that it is still in the tank is because I paid over $600 for it. :evil: :cry: :evil:

As soon as it runs it’s course, I will be replacing it with HEAPS of rock.

Could not be happier with the stuff, tank looked great using it, Photos taken also shows that corals looked far more colourful.

Could be the iron in the mud.

I actually removed it as i had the coral bleeching problem and needed the space. but it is going back soon, or at least some of it as my cataphyllia has recovered when i put the mud in.

Some people do have problems growing the algae, and do have to do it a few times. i cant say i had any problem with the algae,.

But all the mud tanks i have seen look great and even Hollywoods coral tanks in Albany looked really good when they added the mud.

I think using a skimmer also is a good idea otherwise if you go skimless you need a huge sump to hold more algae.

I suppose I am still benefiting from the minerals that it leaches over time

in particular what ones do you think you are benefitting from?

what is the release rate?

how do you test to see if the mud is all "used up" ?

nothing personal joe.... I am a real cynic on this particullar product, nothing reads true to me.. i do not understand how any mineral source could be self regulating to dose a tank at the correct rate... looks like BS to me

Yeah I think its BS too. HOWEVER there are some stunning tanks out there using it and nothing else, so it can be hard to argue with the results. I would 'consider' it still.

As for growing algae, I have HEAPS of calurpa growing in my sump without the MUD, I have to prune it back every week or so. So you don't need mud to grow it.

How blue is the tank as compared to the photos, looks very blue. I thin my tank looks bluer than it photographs.

Pie