Reefs Reef Tank

reef

Yeah I think its BS too. HOWEVER there are some stunning tanks out there using it and nothing else, so it can be hard to argue with the results. I would 'consider' it still.

If you are really interested, I am willing to sell quite reasonably. I've only used it for ~6 months and thus has well over a year before half is required to be replaced. Send me a PM if you want to talk business. :wink:

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my brothers tank is using mm, in my opinion its an amazing tank. He only has soft corals in the tank however but he does nothing but water changes monthly and has a reasonable load of fish in there. I am setting up my new tank at the moment and will be using mm as well after seeing the results on his tank

does he skim?

does he add kalc?

calcium reacter?

NSW or ASW?

Phosphate removers?

Drifty, whats the MM doing that would not happen if it was not there?

interesting to get your opinion on this as you have almost first hand experience

no one has told me what it releases and at what rate, except vague references to minerals......

just trying to qualify what "he does nothing but" really means...

the best soft tanks i have seen did not have skimmers, just LR....

http://www.coralplantations.com/Picture%201012.avi

this thing is as colourfull as a zeo tank :D saw it when last in aussie

I am not sure that the same husbandry works for other or hybrid tanks (I have also read a lot about getting rid of your mushies if you want to keep acros etc) , otherwise chemical warefare breaks out....

Had a big week this week trying to sort out all the cables under my tank and sump room as they are all over the place.

I also worked out why some of my metal halides would not start sometimes. It looks like I am close to the load of the power source as I must be powering half of Auckland.

So it looks like I will go back to 250w Metal halides as this will reduce the load and found that there is no benefit in 400w vs the 250wDE except a biggest power bill.

Here is a pic of the wiring after tidying it up; I still have to cable tie the cables.

cupboard.jpg

mmmm I see radium HPS ballasts?

So it looks like I will go back to 250w Metal halides as this will reduce the load and found that there is no benefit in 400w vs the 250wDE except a biggest power bill.

I know for me the 400W bulbs are just cheaper! did you do a power vs bulb coast spreadsheet? wondering if i am paying that much more in power costs to have another 150w of power through it over bulbs life?