Reefs Reef Tank

reef

updated pics june,

Photo of Male banggai holding eggs. male is on the left.

Would be nice to get the breeding as importing them is not the best as not many survive.

So in 30 days we will see how they go as the male is not that fat, Males dont eat for 30 days due to holding the eggs.

banggai.jpg

Photo of my cataphyllia, been doing really well so far. Could be the only Cataphyllia alive in NZ.

Almost lost it but when Miracle Mud was added it came back, The mud has been removed and it is still doing well. Could be the addition of iron and trace elements that i dose daily, even the goni is doing well.

cata.jpggoni.jpg

leather.jpg

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few changes to be made as i am seriously looking at 6500k lamps due to the excellant growth rates. only problem is that they put out a yellow/green light which hopefully will be of set by the blue t5s.

Have to check the specs as they need to run on Mercury vapour ballast.

so whats the conclusion pies.... you think 400 or 250 are cheaper "overall"

for your setup.....

I am staying 400W and currently have low K used bulbs..... will be moving to brand new 6.5 k bulbs for growth.....

Reef solution, Salifert trace soft/trace hard. Alternate between the two.

Feed Coral food once a week, Prodibio reef booster which contains Amino acids

All on dosing pump and only dose 1/2 what instructions say?

I've dosed both Reef Solutions and the Salifert Trace and Salifert Amino Acids on my frag tanks.

I found the reef Solutions to be beneficial/great for most softies and lps, little effect on sps.

But to be honest I found no noticeable effect from the Salifert products, except perhaps, an coraline algae.

I am hearing the same story, people say the reef solutions seems to have a positive effect....

whats in it and at what concentrations?

which of the trace elements do you think produce the greatest +ve effect?

I also believe like reef that a dosing pump approach would give the best results......

Hmmm yes, vitamins and minerals. A little broad though would you not say?

How much else could there be? Other than vitamins and minerals?

To actually tell us something we want to know it would go beyond some common substances, and vitamins, and minerals.

yes , I would hate to think it had lots of say calcium and iodine and iron in it, and i did not realise how much i was adding!

I guess I am really asking you to prove to me its not snake oil....

I am sure you understand my line of thought... its just like zeo... whats in it please...

but I am sure there is something in it that the corals respond too.....

I guess I am really asking you to prove to me its not snake oil....

i quess we could look at all your goniporas and cataphyllias and see how they look compared to a tank using reef solution to see which are in better shape.

I doubt it has calcium in it.

The only detail they have is listed on this web site

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/reef.html

no there are other factors, such as your ability to keep these animals and make them happy, your skimmer etc etc....

reef you are a great reef keeper and have invested in knowledge and technology....

re

we could look at all your goniporas and cataphyllias and see how they look compared to a tank using reef solution

Please keep to my question, and don't divert it to my reef keeping ability, that will just get us both banned!

I just want to know how this one product (that costs quite a bit.. and which you do have an interest in being the importer) actually works.....

minerals and trace elements just does not cut it for me.....

can you please tell me and those considering trying the product whats in it and how it works... its only fair, you have asked brendan/zeo the same questions in the past.....

so as the little old lady in the burger king add asks... WHERES THE BEEF?

or in this case WHATS THE MINERALS

• 2 months later...

Some new pics

First 2 pics are with blue t5s on only

nightshot1.jpg

nightshot.jpg

front1.jpg

front.jpg

brain.jpg

side2.jpg

side3.jpg

side1.jpg

myce.jpg

table.jpg

pink-acro.jpg

Tanks readings are

Nitrate 0

Po4 .04ppm

calcium 420 ppm

Kh 2.8

temp 28C

salinity 1.025

2 x narva blue metal halide bulbs changed to BLV14k.

The narva bulbs are ok but too blue . The BLV14k are really bright.. not the best look but great growth and it grows on you.

Stopped dosing Vodka as Nitrates are zero and Po4 is really low. will continue to run rowaphos and my Sulphur nitrate reactor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looks like a stunner to me. Hard not to be impressed with that, awesome

Will get full tank pics this week

Just another average tank. :D

Still playing around with lighting. trying to loss a bit of the blue but bulbs i have tried are either very blue or white, need something with a small blue colour.