Tank without a filter

Jaide

Would it be feasible to run a 3 foot tank (about 180 litres) without a filter that contains:

2x silver dollars

3x angels

6x khuli loaches

6x cories

1x BN

If so, how often would I need to do a water change/gravel clean?

Would you have an air stone / bubble line? anything that make any water movement? I wouldn't run a tank that big with out a filter but if you had to my guess would be 2 water changes a week. Your filter die or is this just a project your looking at doing?

The filter works fine, but they're a pain - much easier and quicker to simply gravel-clean and water-change.

My filter doesn't provide enough air-flow so I have to add an airstone to the tank as well - then thought I may as well get rid of the stupid thing :roll:

I have 2 smaller tanks with fish with no filter or airstone and they're fine - just wanted to check it would be feasible for a bigger tank with more fish.

You don't have to have a filter, they are a relatively new invention, but with that bioload you would need daily water changes.

Filter-free tanks succeed because they are heavily planted with very low stocking levels. The silver dollars mean you would not be heavily planted for long! :roll:

I'd plant it up, get rid of the silver dollars, and have some less messy fishies in there, and 2 - 3 water changes a week would be ok.

Or, use a filter, but put filter wool over the intake. Then, instead of cleaning the filter, just change/rinse the filter wool every few weeks. Much easier.

Believe it or not, the dollars don't eat the plants much, the plants tend to die as they don't have enough light/CO2 whatever to grow I think - the leaves drop off and float around the tank. I should probably get some plants that are hardy and don't need fussing with CO2 and bright lighting - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Anyway, I wouldn't get rid of fish, I love them all - they're my babies :)

@ Kiwi - I have sand as a substrate, not gravel though

If you want to try it without a filter I'd suggest removing the silver dollars and cutting the angels back to 2. You don't absolutely need a filter, but it gives you the ability to handle a MUCH higher bioload.

I don't understand why filters can be a pain?

I have an external filter, I clean it approximately once every 6 weeks, with weekly water changes.

I think a filter is crucial, especially for a tank this size, without a filter you will likely run into various problems with water quality.

I don't understand why filters can be a pain?

I have an external filter, I clean it approximately once every 6 weeks, with weekly water changes.

I think a filter is crucial, especially for a tank this size, without a filter you will likely run into various problems with water quality.

It's a pain because it doesn't work properly - it's always getting filled with air and I'm tried of fiddling around trying to get the thing to run properly. I had to add an oxygen stone because the filter is not generating enough movement. And, they are a pain to pull apart and clean out. I would prefer to do regular water/gravel cleans than muck around with it anymore.

I don't think I need plants if I have an oxygen stone.

*ignores Snookies comment*

I would like the others use a filter to me it is just not worth the risk.

BUT around 10 years ago when I first got into fish I went on a tank crawl to Napier and met a guy who had a tank with fish in it and no filter, the tank was wall to wall plants and had fish in in apparently but couldn't see them for all the plants, think he said the tank had been going for no problems with only regular water changes.

I just attemted (unsuccessfully) to breed cherry barbs outside in a large plastic container without a filter. The adult fish didn't seem to suffer any ill effects, but I only had a few fish in a lot of water, and also had plenty of plants. I would suggest you would need to keep the number and size of fish pretty low compared to what we're used to seeing in a filtered tank if you want to maintain good water quality.

If I were to try an experiment like this, I would start off with just a few small fish and build up the bioload gradually. Personally I would also have the tank heavily planted, because the plants help to keep everything in equilibrium. I wouldn't (personally) attempt it in a tank that sounds quite fully stocked and has no live plants. Just my opinion.

Rather than doing away with the filter completely, how about trying a different kind of filter? Even a small, cheap hang-on-back type would be better than nothing at all, and I would think that some filtering would be better than none. I'm also interested in what kind of filter you currently have. Surely you could convert it into something that just moves the water around the tank rather than getting rid of it? Moving water is likely to stay good much longer than still water, and the movement will help keep the temperature even throughout the tank, and grow beneficial microorganisms in the gravel.

Most of the tank in my fish room don't have filters, they are small max size would be 70ltrs.

As others have said you can get away with not haveing filters depending on your bioload and how good you are at looking for signs of problems.

I remember going to see a discus breeding setup a long time ago. The chap had 6foot tanks split in two with gravel and plants and between 2 - 6 adult discus in each. Changed water about once a week. Very happy fish and the tanks looked great.

His rasing tanks also had no filters but he did a lot of changes.

It's an Eheim Classic external filter - so is fiddly to take apart to clean out.

I do have a new internal sponge filter I could try - I originally bought that for my small tanks but run them without filters instead. It's just that internal filters look ugly - but I guess I could hide it somehow so will give that a go.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Oh, does anyone have any suggestions on what plants I could add that are low maintenance and don't require loads of light? Seems the current plants I have (no idea what they are) aren't liking it in there as they're dropping their leaves (believe it or not, my silvers don't eat them - probably because they get a lot of lettuce to eat regularly)

I have a lilly-type plant in there which seems to be doing ok, and some java fern but the rest drop their leaves.

It's an Eheim Classic external filter - so is fiddly to take apart to clean out.

I do have a new internal sponge filter I could try - I originally bought that for my small tanks but run them without filters instead. It's just that internal filters look ugly - but I guess I could hide it somehow so will give that a go.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

You don't need to take it apart to "clean" it. Eheim's especially classics should only be cleaned when (as has happen to yours) the flow drops off.

Only parts you need to open up is the impeller, washing the media can be done through backwashing as per eheim's website; http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/prod_e_ ... assic.html then run a brush through the hoses.

Jaide, not sure if I can sway your decision, but personally I would not set up any tank without a filter, even a sponge filter in the corner is better than nothing. To me, the main purpose of the filter isn't to generate water movement (an air stone will probably do that more efficiently) but to maintain stable and safe water conditions for the fish. I hate meddling with my filters, and I only give them a rinse once in a long while, and my water readings are still looking fine.

Imagine being in a room. The air inside is only replaced once a week. Over the course of the week, minute amounts of carbon monoxide are being released into the room. At the end of the week, new air in the room. It's pretty much that way with your tanks. Being closed environments, ammonia in the water has no way to get out without the beneficial bacteria. Sure, they won't die unless the ammonia goes through the roof (and that probably won't happen with weekly water changes), but they won't like the ammonia 'build-up' and 'reset' every week. They also won't be as comfortable in their environment and might not live as long.

Waddya say? Give the ol' filters another go? For your babies! :wink: