Where to get Crystalwort(Riccia fluitans)

craigd

Hi All,

I'm redoing my planted tank and am after some rock coverage, I really like the crystalwort look! Currently i have willow moss and java moss, and would be open to any suggestions for other plants... My goal is to create a rocky river look with moss covered rocks and various bits of driftwood to...similar to what you might see in a nz native forest.

Cheers

One of those plants/mosses that grew like wildfire in my tank and looked awesome floated although I found it grew so densely that fry had to swim like little torpedos :o to get into it so decided to cover rocks/driftwood with it and after using netting from garden centre found that hairnets from the Korbond Beauty stand at local supermarket were easier to secure and way more attractive while waiting for Riccia to grow through it :wink: . However after a few months of an awesome looking display I started to notice that my fish were flashing/flicking themselves and avoiding the areas where the Riccia was so took a couple out and discovered that the top 1-2cms were still a lush green but underneath was like a rotten compost :-? so took the whole lot out and started again with the same result :roll: so that was the end of Riccia in my tank BUT if you google Takashi Amano who is world reknowned for his aquascaping it might say what type of lighting he used and would probably recommend CO2.....GOOD LUCK cause if you get the right conditions it looks awesome :wink::D

Christmas Moss is also great used attached to rocks and driftwood and doesn't go rotten :wink:

• 1 month later...