what type of fish would these be?

melrick1

I was at Karipero lake the other day with the bucket and net. We caught some small shrimp, muscles, what I think must have been a bullies (not too familiar with the native fish).

But one thing I did see which I thought was odd was a school of slim silver fish with red faces/heads… there were mosquito fish in there too so I didn’t get mixed up or anything lol.

Anyone seen these guys before?

They were rite up by the shore but way too quick to catch!

Have a poke around on here: http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fi ... fishfinder

You will quickly be able to see from the distribution maps if they are in the area. You will also be able to narrow down the types of bully in the lake.

I am not too good on the various pesky introduced fish, doesn't sound like a native one unfortunately.

A quick search shows rudd looking like an overweight dull silver goldfish with red fins.... Not slim with a red head.

Slim, silver fish that school... of the natives there are inanga and the more silver smelt, but they don't have red heads.

Releasing ANY aquatic organism(1) into ANY waterway(2) without a permit from DOC or MAF or both is an offence.

1:fish, plants, invertebrates etc.

2: whether the species was present already or if the individual organism came from there originally.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...