buy 1get 1 free is back

evil_elmo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thing to always do is to work out what your paying... discounts and deals should be only looked at in what amount of dollars you dish out

In my company, Im really happy to give 10 or 15% off retail as that would mean I charge more for the glass.... In general, Im 25 to 40% off the retail so simply see how many dollar you pay out and forget deals/offers

thing to always do is to work out what your paying... discounts and deals should be only looked at in what amount of dollars you dish out

In my company, Im really happy to give 10 or 15% off retail as that would mean I charge more for the glass.... In general, Im 25 to 40% off the retail so simply see how many dollar you pay out and forget deals/offers

That comment is NOT aimed at any retailer (including Animates), its simply a comment as people often ask about discounts and not look at the price they pay

could you clarify this please? sorry doesn't make sense to me :)

Look at the final price not the discount given. A company that gives you 25% off something may still b dearer than one that does not discount at all.

Eg in Chch at present you can pay Between $5.95 and $10.95 for a cardinal tetra.

With a buy one get one free deal on that $10.95 fish you pay $5.50 per fish.... So you only save $0.50

Beat me to it TM. Thats what I was meaning too.

Boxing day sales are a prime example. The discount is off RRP. Pre Xmas a lot of the stuff is on sale too and alot of it is just as cheap. Its the mentality thing. Think your getting a deal, wheras you just paying slightly less than last week without the hype.

could you clarify this please? sorry doesn't make sense to me :)

The retail price of say 5mm glass is (from memory) about $145 plus GST per meter

If I gave you a 15% discount off retail you would pay $123.50 per meter

The price I charge is $86 per meter

therefore full retail (as per the large companies retail cost) is $145

If I offered a 15% discount the cost to you is $123.50

But my price is $86

percentages are a dangerous way of price structures as inflation slowly (over a period of years) gets twisted. All companies need to know ALL their costs and add margins from there.

I charge the same price to all customers whether they are small or large. The large customer will often say how come Im paying the same as someone that only buys $100 worth of glass when I buy $2000 per month? I take the reverse view and say why should I rip someone off that dosnt need as much glass?

The system works (Ive used the same system for 22 years)

We have a downturn in NZ but October was my busiest ever month (highest turnover)

November was the 2nd best ever November

December was easily the best December

January will be either the best or 2nd best January

Some of the most successful companies here in NZ are the fast foor outlets and they also work on a cost plus deal rather than work out the maximum they can get and then discount from time to time

Hope this helps Luke

I used to work for a dentist. Of course people always complain about the cost of dentistry without considering the exorbitant cost of materials, equipment etc.

My dentist would OFTEN drop the price down from what the computer would automatically charge, especially if people had been polite/interesting or were obviously struggling financially.

The silly thing was he never told the patient and the discount didn't show up on the automatically created invoices.

If the patient got a bill for say... $200, they complain about dentistry being so expensive.

If the patient got a bill for $200 and were told that the dentist had discounted it for them they would always be really appreciative.

Makes no actual difference to the amount the patient paid, but the patient goes away happy that they paid less.

I see what you're saying Barrie, but with fish, even at animates prices, the buy one get one free thing usually works out at a pretty good price.

I think I need more loaches, 25 is not enough!! :P

Im not for one minute suggesting that it isnt a good/great or best deal... just suggesting that you look at how much money passes from your pocket to the dealers pocket.

I would also not suggest that price is the only consideration as helpfullness, quality and just supporting a bussiness you like of thats handy are every bit as important.

I use Visi-Therm heaters and they probably cost twice as much as other cheaper brands but I have faith in them as I cant afford to loose some of the fish I have... Im happy to pay more for MY piece of mind

I see what you're saying Barrie, but with fish, even at animates prices, the buy one get one free thing usually works out at a pretty good price.

I think I need more loaches, 25 is not enough!! :P

haha best time to stock up on clown loaches, $10 a loach is sweet price

dont you wish they did buy 1 get 1 free on your green :lol: