On a brighter note....

phoenix44

well maybe not... All my fish worth mentioning are DEAD. All happened overnight.

they are covered in this white film like fungus thing.... the eyes are covered in white stuff... looks like cloudy eye, only the cloudyness ate the eye away and has left a concave gap....

have treated with oxytetracycline, furan, and meth blue.

so far the casualties are:

(fatalities)

2 X BGK

1 red spot plec,

1 gold spot plec.

5 different types of cories... 2 of which ive had for more than 2.5 years.

6 serpae tetras (i think they introduced this evilness into my tank)

god knows how many dozen glowlights black neons, congo tetras, and what have you....

did i mention my favourite cories?

:x

and the casualties, which im hoping will pull through are my 10 clown loaches whom ive had for about 2.5 years now....

all my bolivian rams, orange chromides, that butterfly pleco, gah... so many more.... my huge koi angels (now blind); the other plecos i had in there...

very depressing ... but the worse thing is that this happened over night. i saw faint white coverings on the eyes yesterday and immediately medicated the entire 4ft densly planted tank(not easy to do, as i love the plants in there)....

wake up this morning and well.... what can you do aye?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear. Have your tested your water? I lost one of my discus and about 10 cardinals and a few rummynoses a couple of weeks ago. Overnight my ammonia had shot up and its a wonder I didn't lose the lot. I think my filter was clogged as since I cleaned it right out (and yes I have been doing water changes every two days since then - 200 litres at a time), the tank seems to have sorted itself out again. Now I have to wait for the bacteria to re-establish.

hey adodge... that's the funny thing though.

cleaned my filter out about 2 weeks ago.... replaced the ammocarb, and cleaned the sponges (fluval 405) but didnt change or clean the eheim bio media (substrate pro i think it is). tank was fine as... did a water test yesterday at work - everything was spot on..

pH was about 6.2 ish... (S.American tank). ammonia 0, nitrate, nitrite was good.. (new nitraban in the filter). phosphates are usually high in my tank, but not high enough to kill the fish - never had an algae problem in my life either.

i feel like crap now. i hope the tank comes right... when it does i will sell all my tetras and those fish and just keep a few catfish in the tank. very disheartening.

worse part was gollywog (BGK) dying, I hand fed him everyday. he used to swim in and out of my fingers, lol.

i have work in about 2 hours so i will retest the water then... ive just never seen fish go blind like this. I thought it may have been TB or something but its so fast acting! :evil:

You posted your pics while I was replying to your earlier posts. Is the slime not the protective mucus coating en masse? I noticed my other discus' eyes were a little cloudy at the time but they are now clear again.

the slimy coating appears to be intact. if any thing, the fungus - if that's what it is is eating away the slime... and the eyes.

if by slime you meant the white rot like fungus thing, then no it is not one large piece - its like its attacked the fish in different areas, where the coat may have worn down, if that makes any sense.

very depressing ... but the worse thing is that this happened over night. i saw faint white coverings on the eyes yesterday and immediately medicated the entire 4ft densly planted tank(not easy to do, as i love the plants in there)....

wake up this morning and well.... what can you do aye?

What did you medicate with?

Man thats gutting sorry to hear about it :(

I lost 2 of my fav fish yesterday too gutting man.. Both jumped out when I had lids on the tanks and haven't had a fish jump in over a year to loose 2 favs in one day sucks :(

Meth blue applied directly to the angels eyes may help it come right, I have managed to fix my africans eyes like that, mind you they had scraped themselves on rocks yours seems different.. I hope you get on top of it there is nothing worse than loosing a bunch of fish and not knowing what went wrong..

thanks everyone.

dixon tank has been treated with meth blue, oxytetracycline, and furan 2.

the temperature has been at a stable 29. moves by half a degree or so over a 24 hour period.

the male angel fish got it initially. it looked exactly like cloudy eye - only i caught it really early. this morning, all of them except the fighter and the butterfly (pantadon) were covered in it.

the angels eyes are now concave, as are the cories, etc. the clownies have the covering on the eye, so i upped the meds and did a water change, and put some more in.

it looks disgusting in there. i feel real sorry for them.

was sitting at home - nothing much to do so looked on the net. heres some bits and pieces I read, have you considered flukes as apparently they can cause excess mucus and muck up the eyes. Have a look below.

Whitish Film over the eye of the tropical fish.

This could be because of poor water quality, chlorine poisoning or eye fluke.For poor water quality you have to change the water. For chlorine poisoning you should condition tap water before using it. For eye fluke please use proper medication.

Dull color (mucus), detached skin or fraying of the fin could be Mucus Hyperproduction. This is caused by Slime disease (parasite, meds), poor water conditioners (high nitrogenous waste), fukes and stress.

A whitish film appears over the eye of the fish. This occurs due to poor water quality or poisoning (chlorine) or Eye Fluke.

and have a look at following site

http://badmanstropicalfish.com

thanks man... definitely looks like cloudy eye. but the water has no flukes... I took a sample of a few fish and checked for them. nothing visible under microscope.

only this cloudy eye has progressed the fastest i have ever seen, its not supposed to eat the eye though.

all my beautiful cories that i spent years collecting seem to be dead =(