Hunting Koi Carp

paul_r

I havn't specifically gone out to hunt koi, but when I went possum hunting near a lake with my mates (we had shotguns and .22's) we tried to nail a couple koi. It was pretty hopeless with the .22's but with the shotguns we got a couple.

It would be much funner with bows as I rekon live ammo is a bit of a waste on them...

I've heard they don't taste very good and are really bony. But other types of carp are eaten in places. Maybe you could make a fish stew or something with them.

And how do koi look like gross goldfish? Goldfish are the koi's mutant inbred appalachian hick cousins. If anything koi are supermodels in comparison.:)

Although I haven't eaten them myself I've heard they taste like mud. Apparently people take them home alive and put them in big drums of fresh clean water. After a few weeks in there it filters out the muddy taste and then they eat them. They do make good burley though because they are a very oily fish.

• 2 weeks later...
the "real" wild golden and silver kois are really really tasty!

Those sound more like grass carp, they're obviously not native but have been introduced to control water weeds to lessen the use of sprays. They don't breed in our waterways so they have to be farmed and introduced. When we were bowfishing in the waikato we were told to not go after those ones :-?

Although I haven't eaten them myself I've heard they taste like mud. Apparently people take them home alive and put them in big drums of fresh clean water. After a few weeks in there it filters out the muddy taste and then they eat them. They do make good burley though because they are a very oily fish.

just don't get caught doing this. The transportation of live Koi will land you in lots of hot water, and even that won't make it taste better

bows and arrows ?- what no light tackle fisherman out there. first one to go line weight wins.

bows and arrows ?- what no light tackle fisherman out there. first one to go line weight wins.

I fish 2KG so should get that easy. There are some monsters where I live...but when I went last night I didnt have any flurocarbon, and the big ones could see the braid.

Those sound more like grass carp, they're obviously not native but have been introduced to control water weeds to lessen the use of sprays. They don't breed in our waterways so they have to be farmed and introduced. When we were bowfishing in the waikato we were told to not go after those ones :-?

They could breed.

If they all weren't sterile. :o