Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Builders

Featured Replies

Is anyone here a builder in the waikato area? I am building a sperate building to my house...

Its going to be 5M by 5M with a adjacent room of 2M by 2M

Anyway need a builder that can do the concrete/walls/insulation/wireing/roof/plumbing and what not...

  • Author
are you going to import fish?

Its a possability. I am getting a fish room built, but I want to have it up to MAF standards so if I want i could look at importing.

Id only import Arowanas or Marines though...

If you are serious about importing I would suggest you work with Maf to be sure you meet their requirements as they are pretty tough and have seen a lot of people decide to give up importing recently. You should also make sure that the building consent application is for a facility to quarantine as well as breed fish (so that it can comply with the District and Regional plans). This will save you a lot of hassle in the future as it becomes a permitted or consented use.

Also, you can employ a builder who will use and be responsible for his own subcontractors (sparkie, plumber, drainlayer, roofer etc) or you can employ the subbies and be responsible for them if it goes pear shaped.

Why not go with a steel building from someone like kiwispan if its going to be a fishroom? Timber + humidity isn't a great combination. Insulate it with thick batts, then gib aqualine or treated ply, and then put poly over that to keep as much warmth in as possible.

I don't know if a steel-framed building is such a good idea - I was having this very conversation with Highways in Tga (importers) and they use steel framed/clad garages... they normally last five or so years and they're finished.

If it was me I would build a bunded concrete floor (as per MAF), and frame with H4 treated pine, and line the interior with seratone. Plywood might be okay if it was appropriately sealed.......

We did look at this last year, and decided that the building would cost approx $18000 for the materials (6x4m shed) plus permits and council compliance, resource consents, and the MAF compliance was on top of that again.

Still, if someone else was prepared to invest close to $50k including the first shipment of fish, then we would happily buy their fish :-)

If it was constructed properly you would only need H1 framing as it is protected from damp and weather. If the water is on the studs you should be taking the builder for a big refund. H4 is ground treated--fence posts and piles. Seratone type linings would be good. Poly is good for culturing mould and the Maf would get pretty excited. Hardly a smooth impervious lining.

I'd use H3.1 treated timber (usually used for outdoor stuff like decks) to be on the safe side. I wouldn't use kiln dried LOSP treated (H1.2 or H3.2) timber for in a damp humid environment like a fish room.

Id go polypanel (like an industrial coolstore) for a fish room. great insulation easy to clean, if its ok for dairy companies and meat works its fine for fish.

Polypanel would be great. If H1 is OK in a shower compartment it would be OK in a fish room if the internal sheathing was installed correctly. I built a 12ft x 8 ft fish room which was approved by Maf, Local and Regional Authorities as well as parliament (listed in the gazette as you do) and it was built from H1 framing with batts and sisalation then lined with flat colour steel sheets with the joints sealed with RTV and painted with mould resistant paint approved for use in freezing works--worked a treat. Polypanel would do the same thing and be a hell of a lot easier.

  • Author

Thanks for all the help.

I am after a builder that will do everything so I simply dont have to worry. I planned on getting in the phone to MAF today, it would be great if the sold a Kit ay...

That would be great, just wanted to post here in case any fish experts where builders and could help me on this. They would understand more in detail then a builder may.

I am not sure on the equipment yet.

I need to get costs all sorted because I need to do a business loan from the bank. (looking for between 40-50k) and thats a fully licenced import room.

I need to get costs all sorted because I need to do a business loan from the bank. (looking for between 40-50k) and thats a fully licenced import room.

Lol, a 16 year old borrowing tens of thousands from a bank...... riiiiiiiight

Yep, but a good business plan could be hard to produce if the numbers don't stack up. I was talking to someone in the industry about new laws for quarantine. If over 25% of the shipment die then they are allowed to take one of the fish, euthanise it, dissect it to try to find the cause and check for other health problems, and then send you a bill of around $800 for lab fees. Imagine if you'd just imported 10 asian arowanas, that plus payments on a $40k loan plus all the other associated costs would have you one a run away train heading for bankruptcy.

Don't get me wrong, more power to ya for trying Charlie. All I'd suggest is that you don't quit your day job/school. As others have said, if you want to make money there's a million better ways to do it than by importing fish. If you can meet the loan payments with income from the fish room and stay in the black then you'll be doing well, but IMO you'd be crazy to rely on it to put food on your table...

Youd need more like 100k min to give it a good shot.

Lab test fee's are high

Permit costs are stupid

Power bills :o

Water

Pumps/filter

Tanks

Lots of food

$$ for stock(say 1k + shipping for a good aro)

Remember you need more than just money for setup costs, you may not sell fish and they may sit around for a long period of time. There is all ways unforeseen costs(acc, business reg and the such)

How many 2k+ aro's can nz buy?

Iv looked long and hard at importing fish, better money else where in the industry.

Not trying to knock you are anything. Find a niche and nail it, thats what im doing.

  • Author

Living Art is on the money...

I am doing to plan at the moment, thats why I am looking for a builder ATM.

I didnt plan on using it as a sole income, just for the enjoyment really. I never said just arrowanas, but i know there is a risk in every business.

My Father does planning law and what not, so i know all the permits i need.

I also know about what Maf licences are needed and what not.

Just looking for a builder.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.