whiptail catfish and kulli loaches

grubster

hi i im a newb to tropicals, have a 200l tank setup 6 months ago.

I recently brought a w/tail cat from a lfs, i introduced to my tank and 2 days later it was dead.

all water levels are fine, i contacted the store and they told me the kulli loaches had killed it,

has anyone had an experience like this, from my research the loaches and cat are fine in the same tank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm about to upsize my tank to one that 90cm long, 50cm high and about 40cm depth. I will have two medium sized silver dollars and two medium sized angels in it, plus 4 cories - will kuhli loaches go well with these types of fish?

I'm about to upsize my tank to one that 90cm long, 50cm high and about 40cm depth. I will have two medium sized silver dollars and two medium sized angels in it, plus 4 cories - will kuhli loaches go well with these types of fish?

yes. kuhli's will be fine.

the dollars will need a larger tank eventually though. :o

Excellent! I'll buy some when I set up the tank.

I'm off to get some silica sand today which I'm sure the kuhlis will love :)

@ phoenix - yes I know re: the silver dollars. I wouldn't have got them if I'd known at the time they grew so big. I might have to sell them off eventually - shame as they're neat fish and mine are a light silvery colour (not grey, as some can be) and really sparkle in the light (as do my golden angels) - must be what I feed them :wink:

Hi,

I have had Kulie Loaches over a year and never had any problems with these wonderfully in your face active fish. I have never seen them hurt any-thing.

I have read that the Wipe-Tails can be very sensitive to change.

mac

These kinds of cats are quite sensitive to sudden pH change, as informed by a well known whip tail breeder up here in Auckland....can be sudden or over 2-3days apparently. Sorry about your loss.

As for the Kulli killing your cats, that's total c**p, they are placid as and have over 8 of them and have never hurt anyone, I rarely see them. Unless, they were swimming about and stressed the cats too much? Bit far fetched maybe? My 5c thanks.