Stolen Pony - long story

imsweet

We had our mini pony stolen on saturday at lunchtime. 3 x 13-14yr old girls broke the gate and absolutley wrecked the road side fence to get at him. They took the collar off our (friendly) calf and put it on the pony to lead him and put a piece of twine on it. I went down in the avo with my daughter to feed them (as i do every day) and he was gone. :evil: Boy was i mad. !!##%%**!! Phoned the local cop shop and said either my pony's broken out (highly unlikely) or he's been stolen. The "hmm" lady on the line said to me "oh we've delt with that already". So i asked to speak to someone who knew about it. Another came on the line and grilled me about everything from where i lived to what i was doing with a mini to how much he cost me?? huh?? then told me the girls told them they were given him and they have him in a secret location. They wouldnt tell me where, or who had him, or who the girls were. And basically they would get someone to call me about it. 6pm, a guy turns up wanting to know if the mini was mine, then said he had him an the cops asked him to verify he was mine. ok, i dont like the cops anymore. :x Just so happens i was cleaning out the float after lunch. so he could see that. I took some pics out to him and said he's currently fat, fluffy and needs his feet trimmed. The guy was awesome and brought him back on sunday for me. Minus his cover. I rang cops to see what happens now? hmmm, havent spoken to girls, nothing will happen to them (theyre only 14 you know) allegedly they wrecked the gate / fence and have his cover. Then get a call from cops 4pm, have cover (it was at 1 of the girls house) havent spoken to them yet as were not home. I asked for a trespass notice to be served to them. Got told it wont do any good as what are the chances of catching them again? Got the mini back, got the cover, fixed the fence, new gate and 2 padlocks added, electric fence all round paddock to stop animals getting close to fence, padlocked fence unit and battery to back fence. Was told by cops best not to put him back there as dont want it happening again. Oh yeah.... i'll just snap my fingers and get more grazing. Worst thing about it?? someone lives accross the road from the paddock, saw the whole thing happening - girls wrecking the gate, taking him etc, and when hubby was down there sat avo trying to secure the paddock for the calf, the guy came out and told hubby what happened. It was only by sheer luck someone called the cops when the girls had the mini at their house saying it was a bit sus. Thankyou for the one who called :hail: No thankyou to the girls for wrecking a great weekend. Ok feel better about my speil.

argh! that sux... it's great you got the mini back but take into a/c the time and money to fix it up and increase security and also the bad feeling of worrying about it happening again :-?

sounds like by their actions they had calculated the steal... girls love horses, ponies etc tho aye so i assume that's why they did it??

Wow. It's one thing to steal someone's 'stuff' (inanimate objects) but to steal an actual live animal that needs to be cared for has some frightening potential to go wrong!

13 - 14 year old girls should definitely know better than that, and they should definitely get a SEVERE talking to about NEVER doing something like that again. If the police aren't going to do it then they should give you the opportunity to do it yourself.

grrrrr :evil:

Isnt the age of criminal responsibility in this country 14yo? Also, the parents can be held financially responsible until the child turns 18 or leaves home.

Dealing with Insurance claims, we quite often hold parents responsible in court for their childrens actions if 16yo or under. damages like you have sustained should be sought through the disputes tribunal.

Little sods.

Yip, I'd also say thats why they did it. My little girl Jaz is 3 and she loves horses. Theres one we drive past on the way to kindy and she always tells me we have to get her horse back. I can't believe they did that and get no punishment, it seems totally unfair. Especially after all your worrying and the personal expense to fix the fence. I would be finding their parents and asking for financial help fixing the fence. No wonder theres so much crime now when the police take such a laid back attitude, they need to be taught a lesson - stealing is unacceptable! Sounds like they were more concerned with you and ownership than the girls. How many people ring a police station a day and say their pony is gone? Sounds very ridiculous and yes I would also be very angry at the police.

a friends son was driving north near Waipu and a wonam behind was txting, she rearended him and pushed him in front of an oncoming truck. He was killed. The person RESPONSIBLE(?) will be unlucky if she gets a $500 fine and loss of license. My friends sentance is no grand kids and the rest of their lives without their son...

the laws are screwed up.

At least the police can still issue tickets even if the people getting them dont pay

The girls told the cops they were given the mini and kept it at the riding for the disabled at night. So the cops rang the RDA manager and said they had his black horse. He freaked (poor guy) and hooned around there to find his "horse" had shrunk and he actually decided to take him rather than leave him with the girls. Then the girls changed their story to say they took him as he was neglected and no one looked after him. Because the cops arent willing to talk to the only person who saw the girls wrecking the gate and taking him, (as they class this as low prioity) then no-one can be held accountable for damages / costs etc. We have him at home at the moment and my little girl (not quite 2) woke yesterday to find him here, she ran up to him a gave him a hug around the front legs an said "Tui, not gone, Tui home". I had to tell her on saturday he'd gone for a walk as she wouldnt understand why he wasnt really there.

the problem with this country is its laws, and the way that they are set out,

like barries case, someone dies and the punishment is a proverbial slap on the wrist, same with rapists and peadophiles, and the cops are slow to respond and when they do they are so liad back theyre almost vertical...

and yet theyll sit on the road edge and pick off people doing 10ks over and repremand you and treat you like a criminal of the worst sort...

in New Zealand, there is so little inteh way of serious crime happening, the cops are lazy, nothing better to do... and then wonder why everyone hates them...

comming from South Africa where i was help up at gunpoint at 15 for my bike and my shirt, New Zealand cops are soft...

just my opinion....

the problem with this country is its laws, and the way that they are set out,

like barries case, someone dies and the punishment is a proverbial slap on the wrist, same with rapists and peadophiles, and the cops are slow to respond and when they do they are so liad back theyre almost vertical...

and yet theyll sit on the road edge and pick off people doing 10ks over and repremand you and treat you like a criminal of the worst sort...

in New Zealand, there is so little inteh way of serious crime happening, the cops are lazy, nothing better to do... and then wonder why everyone hates them...

comming from South Africa where i was help up at gunpoint at 15 for my bike and my shirt, New Zealand cops are soft...

just my opinion....

Yes there may be SOME lazy cops, just as there are lazy people in every profession but I think our police force very much have their hands tied. We do have bylaws and we are ALL bound by them, including our police force. Please dont bag them all.

These same cops sitting on the side of the road ticketing people may well be the same ones that one day have to turn up at someones door and tell them a family member is dead or be the one that has to enter into a situation that is putting their life at risk, for the sake of your right to grizzle and whinge about lazy cops.

oh k so maybe i went a little OTT bagging them, but its my personal opinion, and ill stick to it, but i do think that there should be harsher laws and the cops should be able to do alot more to serious offenders, and not concentrate on making thier ticket quotas. serious crims are being let off so lightly over here, and small offences are being judged more harshly than neccesarry, wouldnt you agree?

and the whole age thing is bollox, esp when i know that in South Africa (yees its not New Zealand, but its my example) Children are forced to become mercinaries for the point that they are outside the law. now that is extreme i agree, but if theyre committing a crime they have to have some sort of reprimand, otherwise theyll learn to get away with it.

one of NZ's biggest problems is that no-one takes responibilty of actions. Kids are let off because they are kids whereas their parents should have to take responsibilty for them and have to pay for the kids wrong doing.

This will get a few of you going but its not meant to do so... Student LOANS are exactly that. They are a loan and when some-one takes a loan, they have to pay it back or it would be called a gift or hand out. People in general take no responsibilty for them selves or their kids.

I belive that there should be no "limited liability" companies for instance and that a dept should stay untill paid back in total.

These kids that stole the pony should be held (or their parents) accountable for their actions and maybe should have to work the cost of the damage off or stay with them and their parents untill it is paid off. This would mean no overseas trips and not hire purchase or mortages

Where were the parents! If my daughter had turned up with a horse in tow I would want to know who it belonged to :o

And if she had stolen it, I would have taken her to the cops myself and demanded they at least process her and lock her up for a few hours (to give her a fright) and then she would be made to pay for the damage (or work it off if she had no money).

nowadays we say you shouldn't behave like that dear

it is not acceptable behaviour in todays modern society

how would you like it if someone took your favourite dolly

now you need some timeout in your room with all your favourite toys

and maybe you will take time to reflect on the actions you did

yea right

there seems to be no consequence of your actions for todays kids

yes i know i am insulting baby goats by using that term

These same cops sitting on the side of the road ticketing people may well be the same ones that one day have to turn up at someones door and tell them a family member is dead or be the one that has to enter into a situation that is putting their life at risk, for the sake of your right to grizzle and whinge about lazy cops.

very well said...imagine bein a cop you gotta deal with the detritus of society everyday...tho powering up the new holdens would be a wicked buzz in hot pursuits. but perhaps they are not involved in many as there a HEAP of car thieves running rampant out there and getting away with it. i've had my car broken into twice, large windows smashed right out and expensive car audio taken both times. even if someone in the houses that were very close heard it and rung the cops the offender/s would be gone by the time they got there. and i wonder, even if they were caught, what would the punishment be? did anyone see that Close Up (I think it was) that featured the guy taking the law into his own hands re car thieves? I missed it and was really gutted as I've done a lil vigilante work myself as the cops certainly will not do it. that show "Busted" by Norm Hewitt was good tho they tracked stolen cars and remotely shut them down trapping momma's pride inside.

and not concentrate on making thier ticket quotas. serious crims are being let off so lightly over here, and small offences are being judged more harshly than neccesarry, wouldnt you agree?

sux you got robbed at gunpoint man..gotta be a lil traumatic yeah? the tickets are performance based. more tickets more bonus. fair enough, you work hard at your job you get a good bonus too yeah? i thought i'd just point out that if they didn't have this in place, cops wouldbe inclined to slack off as they would have no (monetary at least) incentive to work harder. sure it's revenue but think about the other side of the coin, how many deaths are caused by crashes at speed? you are twice as likely to die if you crash at 120kph than you are at 100kph. in this case the small offence has gone unpunished. in the kahui case a big offence has also gone unpunished. so overall i think we are far too light. these kids will appreciate other people's property when they realise the work it takes to get it there in the first place.

If they were my girls I would be locking them in the cubord under the stairs!!!

Fritzl?? :o:wink:

There is also another side to the coin. A friend who is a solo mother had a daughter who got into all sorts of strife. and everything mother did or said got ignored by kid. Could get no help fom Welfare agencies or cops. She used to sneak out of the house at night and meet up with her friends. You can't handcuff them to the bed. Kid did time in the local bad kid's home then suddenly realised that at 18 the cops were going to get serious. Changed her life around--now married and having her 4th child and holding down a very responsible job with very good pay all this time. Many times it is bad parenting but it is too simplistic to just blame the parents. Society has changed and there is now not a lot of support from society in general. The idea that all children are our children which you often see reflected in maori and island culture has been "PCed" from pakeha society and as a consequence there are a lot of struggling parents out there as well as "horse stealin" kids. When I got caught pinching strawberries as a kid the cop kicked us all up the arse and sent us home to dad who beat the crap out of us again so I hope some things have changed.

pakeha society .

:x I cant stand being labelled that. Im a New Zealander. The only reason i have the mini is, with small kids, i dont have the time to have a large horse. Our daughter has been brought up with the mini and our new addition (5 weeks) will hopefully enjoy him as much as his sister.

This post was in no way meant to de-grade the cops but at the time, my faith in them was lost. (trying to understand how can someone steal and get away with it) They have been totally honest with me from the start about whats going to happen (and not going to happen) to the girls. And unfortunatley the girls will probably run faster than me so i wouldnt be able to catch them & take them out to hang them somewhere quiet.

I might have to start practising the lasso :wink:

'to lasso is to successfully throw the loop of rope around something'

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I understand that pakeha means stranger or strange person. What would be stranger to a maori on the beach getting some pipis for lunch and seeing Captain Cook sailing around the corner in a strange looking sailing ship, wearing the clothing of the day and looking at the beach through a hollow stick.

I'll bet the Australian aboriginals felt the same way. One was heard to say "lOOK AT THAT, what a strange way to play the didgereedoo"