Stolen Pony - long story

imsweet

imsweet

This post was in no way meant to de-grade the cops but at the time, my faith in them was lost. (trying to understand how can someone steal and get away with it)

sounds abit like petrol theft - alot of petrol stations are becoming prepaid during the day now as people just keep helping them selves and cops dont have the time to be dealing with it, makes one wunder what else goes on tht they dont have the resources for :-?

The company I work for has developed a system for gas stations that scans car number plates. If a car on the blacklist drives up, the pump gets locked and the attendant is notified.

Although, they are starting to steal/manufacture plates now...

I don't know if it's just me getting older and more conservative, but kids these days...

another big problem is kids know that there's nothing the cops can do due to their age, so they go ahead and do it. And, with this stupid law of not being able to smack your child, what can you do but say "what you did is wrong" and hope they feel like listening to you.

yes, you can take away certain privileges, but do they really care?

I don't know if it's just me getting older and more conservative, but kids these days...

I read recently people have been saying that since the dawn of time ;) seeing change scares people that's how you get old grouchy people cuz they look at everyone younger than them like a criminal. don't worry, even if the cops don't get to them there's a huge karma force that eventually will :)

I have always tried to live by "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

I am also proud to say that, despite a few rough times, I now have two well adjusted, wage earning, young adults who are a credit to their parents. It could so easily have been different! :-?

Okay. Not wanting to post a bad picture of my parents but if, at the age of 13 or 14, I had stolen anything (especially a @#^%# pony!!) I would have been in so much CRAP its not funny. My parents would have made me walk up to their front door and apologise. They would have made me repair the damage, or at the very least taken my pocket money away from me for the duration that would be required to do the damage.

Seriously though - parents do play a role in this. It's called discipline.

Also with the turning 18 thing - once I turned 18 I realised that so many things I was doing (no comment) could get me into serious trouble!

and your parents were good parents FF

They taught you to be responsible and accountable

Most parents realise that different kids need different punishments... some need a smack, some need to go without things they do, some only need to be growled at but all kids need to see what their actions have meant to their victoms

Most parents realise that different kids need different punishments... some need a smack, some need to go without things they do, some only need to be growled at but all kids need to see what their actions have meant to their victoms

:hail:

problem comes where do you draw the line between a smack and child abuse.... personally when i was growing up at home i KNEW that if i misbehaved the consequence was often a shambok or dads jandal across my glutes, coupled with a time out and writing a apology letter to whoever was affected, though often nowadays living arts exemplar is the more practiced route of child discipline, with the effect of children learning how to get around mum and dad and run amok... (agreed not always, but you can see how it can happen)

then again it only takes a slip of anger from someone to turn a smack into an assault, especially with young kids, and if daddy has had a few too many brewskies...

Cricketman

I think that can be best answerd by child abuse and child killings have increased as parents stopped disciplining their children.... smacking is not abuse and never will be. A person that did beat up their kids is still and always will beat them up.

I have 3 daughters

Corin (my eldest and a teacher 32yo) reacted well to me giveing her a lecture and that would have the required effect.

Lizzette (a dental assistant 29) didnt care 2 hoots about the telling off or no TV or a smack but give her no dinner was her weak point and had the required effect.

Shinal (17 and a good student, wants to be a midwife) didnt care about the lectures or TV or no dinner but she needed a smack every 6 weeks or so and she was perfect.

Problem can be solved not allowing adults to have children untill they have a license.... after all, you need a license to drive dont you.

Laws dont make for better parents as it is against the law to murder but every week people are murdered. Smacking is good for some kids just as a lecture or no dinner is good for others.

.... smacking is not abuse and never will be.

My mother smacked us kids A LOT and called it "discipline." Unfortunately the rate of smacking had very little relationship to the behaviour of the kids, and had a lot to do with how well mum was coping (or not) with other aspects of her life. If finances were tight, or she was stressed or tired, we would get a smack no matter how hard we tried to be good.

Discipline is about clear boundaries that are consistently enforced so kids know where they stand. Random smacking depending on the mood of the parent is not about discipline, it is about bullying someone who is much smaller than you because you know you can hurt them and make them cry.

I don't know if you would classify that as abuse, but I would say it's pretty nasty, and should not be encouraged by a civilised society.

there are always exceptions to the rule and as I mentioned... maybe we should need a license to have kids?

The problem isnt with the smacking, its with parents that cant grasp parenthood (this is NOT aimed at you Whetu)

Every single one of us (adults) will know of "parents" that should not be allowed children as they simply dont know how to bring them up with the boundries and encouragement thats needed to have them become responsible adults

Thats where the girls that started this thread went wrong... they should never of even considered taking the pony

Agreed, Barrie. By the time the girls are teens and stealing horses, you almost start to despair that it's too late. If their parents didn't have the parenting skills to teach them right from wrong when they were young, what hope is there that they will be able to sort them out now?

I also hear what Alan was saying earlier about it not being all the parents' fault and it's true we don't know the full story, but chances are the parents are too scared now to do anything to discipline the kids. It will just be a matter of luck if these girls turn out ok in the end.