Daphnia?

Ashriel

Is the best way to get oxygen to them (with little fuss) to leave them outside in a bucket where the wind will constantly yet mildly diffuse oxygen into the water? These...things I have are quite round, but I guess they could be full on plant detritus as you say Alan, and the ones I have at home are very thin and clear due to lack of food.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oxy-hemoglobin, i.e. that which has coordinatively bound oxygen, is red in colour and this gives the see-through body of daphnia a red pigmentation. Individuals of the same strain in oxygen-rich environments tend to be yellow or almost unpigmented. An example of a species that seems to exist with very little hemoglobin in comparison to other members of its genus, is Daphnia hyalina. It is usually found in the open water of lakes where dissolved oxygen is plentiful. The colour is also moderated by what food is predominating in the diet. Daphnia fed on green algae will be transparent-green in colour, while those feeding on bacteria will be salmon-pink. Taken off http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/

Thanks for the info Fins, I see they say "salmon-pink", which is kinda vague, my "things" are quite orangy, but this would obviously reflect the muddy conditions they come from. I wonder how the first one gets there? It's just a muddy little puddle essentially that is large enough to not dry up in a couple of good days weather. I collected a whole heap more today and I have them in a bucket outside. It would be good if I had a microscope to get a closer look. How did you take that picture Caryl? It looks like it was taken under microscope.

HI if anyone wants daphnia i will be netting them today so will be ready on monday and they come from a pond in the zoo that gets rinsed out and cleaned out every two months so i will have to catch as many as poss now cause there about to clean it and it is still $5 for about 100,000 and they come from clean water please PM me your orders

Kyle

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if people are still interested but...

About 7 years ago, my 6th Form biology teacher (egad I'm getting on! :lol:) dragged us all up Mt St John, and after rainy weather, there's usually a pond at the bottom of the crater, and it's TEEMING with life! I remember we took quite a lot of samples, and the majority of greeblies were Daphnia... I'm not sure if the pond is still there, as I haven't been up Mt St John in the daytime for a long time, last time I was up there was Guy Fawkes to watch the fireworks! (Awesome viewing, btw)

Only thing I'd warn people about is to not use the rope swing there, if you slip and fall (like one of my classmates did) it's quite a distance down to the lava rocks.... *wince* :x

• 6 months later...

I ask at a pet shop if daphnia was avaible this time of the year an to get back to me as new to it all . but instead of geting back to me he got it in about 2 buckets full in a bag with heaps of daphnia. he said to feed iris leaves but dont no what a irus leaf look like or feed sheep poo but ?

How much sheep poo an how often and do i wash them before feeding to fish . how often do they multiply as want to keep a culture. if i get a good culture would like to pass onto new comers like me . so can any one help. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know where you can get them in Auckland but I have several old baths, fibreglass ponds and mussel floats in the yard which I just fill up with water and leave. They fill on their own with daphnia, mosquito larvae and other little critters. I have green water in a bath of goldfish so dump a bit of that in occasionally otherwise I don't feed them or anything. They slowly multiply and since I have few fish, and lots of containers, I have sufficient for my needs.

They can be fed on grass clippings, dried sheep poo, dried blood or dried yeast.

I have found they do not travel well and start to die after a couple of hours in a lidded container - I would put them in a 1kg peanut butter jar 1/3 filled with water. If I removed the lid every so often they were OK but keeping the lid on, despite the air gap, killed them pretty quickly.

I should be able to part with a couple litres of the critters in about a couple weeks time :) .

Had to reseed my bathtub as a whole bunch of rotten bananas was a tad too much for the daphnia and wiped them out with amonia coming off the rotting fruit :cry:

I have had no problems with banana skins..

Problem is putting too many in a bathtub... I think 1 whole banana a month is sufficient :-?

been able to kill my daphnia by chucking in too many bananas.

I find that lettuce leaf breaks up too easily and leaves bits floating all around the water so very difficult to get clean daphnia :evil: