Rental propeties

supasi

Hi all

Yesterday I had a house inspection as I live in a rental property.

The guy who came over said that i needed to clean up my garage as I am accumalating to much junk! :o

The so called junk in question is a lounge suite, spare washer, spare fridge ,my tool, fishing rods and my kayak.

It is a double garage and the stuff is mine(not illegal) its not visable from outside, and its not damaging the property. :evil:

Can someone please clarify for me, Can rental managers say what i can store in my garage?

As stated above, it belongs to me, its not illegal property and I thought thats what garages are for, storing property.

In all my years renting I have not come across this.

I think as long as its tidy then it shouldnt matter.

Ring them up and ask what he was talking about exacty, If hes says your stuff then ring the tennancy tribunal and see what they say then go back to him.

exactly what Living Art said!

Find your rental agreement for anything regarding storing stuff in the garage, if there's nothing, call te landlord to discuss/clarify exactly what he wants you to do and why.

If its definately not in the agreement but he still wants you tidying stuff, escalate to the tribunal!

Just been talking to someone who used to work for the company, and he said that this guy is new and prob trying to look good to the boss.

He told me to ignore him as what ive got in my garage is what is allowed under my contract.

Funny though, he never said anything about all the fishtanks and equipment in the spare room. There is four tanks running and two empty and boxes of filters and other fishkeeping essentials.

Its possible that it could be an insurance matter?

I can understand it if it is as a tenant we had use to stack boxes of stuff out side his back door. It was not viewable from the front of the place but his neibours found it messy and a possible fire hazard.

If your garage is enclosed and locked away I doupt that it would be a neibour complaining and it shouldnt be a hazard

You may wish to remind the manager that your tenancy entitles you to what the law terms 'quiet enjoyment' of the property you lease, i.e. unless you are damaging the property or creating a disturbance with it you don't have to do a thing. Phone his boss and let him know what the new guy has said and suggest he gets a bit of training before he winds up getting the company sued.

Its possible that it could be an insurance matter?

This would be my only thought process. I am an underwriter for an Insurance company and whilst we would really only be concerned about this sort of thing from a risk perspective I cant see how it would matter for a private individual. Accumulation would concern us when we are talking about lots of 0's on the sum Insured.

from the photo, it is a concrete garage and would not therefore present any great risk. Just tell him to get off his shetland pony and go pull someone elses string! :lol:

Just tell him to get off his shetland pony and go pull someone elses string! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I wonder if he is one of those official guys that wear the brown tight Stubbies branded short shorts and socks pulled right up and folded down at the knee :lol:

LOL your garage looks much tidier than ours! Presumably (like us) one of the reasons you chose to rent the place was because there was plenty of storage space in the garage.

In our garage we have:

a sofa

three small fridges (all work, none in use)

two spare fish tanks & associated gear

Piles of boxes of books & papers that don't fit inside the house

Tools/spare parts for various bits of machinery/cars/motorbikes

two push-bikes and associated equipment (pumps, helmets, etc)

two clothes dryers (one works, one doesn't)

clothes drying racks

gardening gear (including a wheelbarrow)

an old sewing machine on an old desk

various camping equipment, picnic baskets, chilly-bins, kites, outdoor activity stuff

... probably lots of other stuff I've forgotten

Tell the property manager you're a low-maintenance tenant!

I see no problem with that at all

If the landlord is selling, thats his right of course but most people buying would want steady tenants if it was for rental and if purchasing for them selves, you would normally get at least a month for looking around for another place so I also wouldnt worry about that.

I think there may well be a case to phone the realestate and mention your concern and offer to show someone else through or send a photo.

I honestly think that there is no problem at all from showing us your photo

I spent years inspecting properties and if I had come across a garage like that I probably would have congratulated the people. Given a few years he will no doubt come accross some real garages. I have seen food premises worse than that. He should come and look at my garage---that would give him something to write letters about.