Quality Fish Shops

Luke*

Ok so what's that shop that really stands out and you love going there everytime cuz there's always something new and cool to look at and buy? :)

For me it would be the Goldfish Bowl in Hamilton.. by and large over the years great service, helps you find stuff you want, fresh plants, few oddball fish, cheap but good products (eg water ager literally 5x cheaper than the big chain store), even bought discus juveniles off me. and because of this the owner has got most of my custom.

Anyway, how about you?

Mine was Living Waters, a long time ago when Franz owned it, he was awesome and gave great advice. I remember going to Pickapet ages after he sold Living Waters and still remembered me which was cool, so he obviously paid attention to his customers.

I love that Bryan's whole shop is basically one big dark fish room :) Really nice atmosphere.

World of Water in Hams have been good to me, excellent knowledgeable service and a good range of fish. Being a n00b, they really helped me get up and running. There's always something new every time I wander out for a look.

Ok so what's that shop that really stands out and you love going there everytime cuz there's always something new and cool to look at and buy? :)

For me it would be the Goldfish Bowl in Hamilton.. by and large over the years great service, helps you find stuff you want, fresh plants, few oddball fish, cheap but good products (eg water ager literally 5x cheaper than the big chain store), even bought discus juveniles off me. and because of this the owner has got most of my custom.

Anyway, how about you?

hff in Albany - good service nice set ups

used to love Waterview fish shop, but that was a long time ago, he had Malawis when I had never seen them before and was really into the hobby, I used to spend hours in there talking and learning.

Brian at the Goldfish Bowl is great, I always used to go there when we lived in Hamilton (was the only shop in town worth visiting IMO) and I still call in occasionally when I'm down that way.

In Auckland HFF Mt Roskill is still the best IMO. I've been shopping there for around 10 years, and they still have an awesome selection of fish and products, and are usually happy to help [when asked!]. They've supported the hobby for years now, rather than going down the more commercial route that Jansens/Animates have, and at a time when the economy isn't great and costs are rapidly rising I applaud that and will continue to support them.

:bow:

Usually do all my fish shopping in HFF Albany. I've been once or twice to HFF Mt. Roskill and it was good also.

Bird Barns a good shop too. Bought a couple of fish from them and they are nice healthy fish, but like I said I've got most of my equipment and fish from HFF.

Pupuke Aquarium centre looks good so that the next shop on my places to go.

Animates in Christchurch are Improving, and i know of 2 ladys at each store that know their stuff about fish, and tanks are getting better too.

Critter kingdom looks nice inside and most the tanks are tidy but service isnt too flash sometimes.

Organism has Great Service a large variety of both Fresh and saltwater healthy fish. This is my favourite but i can only get over there once a month or so at the moment as its on the other side of town to me.

And ive only been to Redwood once and it was great although i saw noone working there :-? :lol: Good selection and mostly healthy fish.

And there is that other petshop that doesnt have very nice tanks mostly and usually very overstocked tanks with quite a few dead ones.

Pupuke has my vote.

Friendly and inviing is the words i could use to describe my experience.

Also great fish and set ups. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Also peter at Wetpets in Palmy. He's great value to the company. I will wait till hes free, just so i can be served by him. :wink:

I was right it is wonderworlds. They have a great range of fish and all the tanks are planted and healthy. Only been there twice but if I'm ever up that way I would deffinately go in again.

The service I had at wonderworlds was outstanding. I asked the young lady a couple of questions and as soon as she didn't know the answer she went a got the expert. I asked him if they sold bulk calcium and rather than try and sell me little containers he told me about a chemist in the area that sold it in bulk.

They have a great range of fish and all the tanks are planted and healthy.

Yes they have a great range, but the twice I've been there I noticed an (IMO) excessive number of dead/sick fish there, including a large pleco in a tank full of baby turtles that would hardly have had room to swim and looked as though it had been picked over by the turtles for about a week. It looks like all their tanks are hooked up on a central system, and I was a little reluctant to buy fish as some of the tanks had whitespot, but I still did and didn't have any problems.

They also seemed to be a bit random with their names, they had ornate bichirs being sold under two different names, and a few other strange things like that, I guess they just copy what ever is on the invoice and don't bother trying to correctly identify things.

All in all its a good store, but from what I've seen they could do with a few hospital tanks out of the customers sight, and the staff could be a bit more vigilant at removing dead fish.

Pupuke Aquarium is really good, guy there was very helpful when I started my addiction to fishkeeping and continues to be. HFF in Albany is great to, few guys in there are really helpful and always good to see what they got there. Bird Barn is good, not as knowledgable but I dont have a problem letting them know if service is not up to scratch :D

The service I had at wonderworlds was outstanding. I asked the young lady a couple of questions and as soon as she didn't know the answer she went a got the expert. I asked him if they sold bulk calcium and rather than try and sell me little containers he told me about a chemist in the area that sold it in bulk.

Its also a family business so that helps things a lot!

yes Luke it is the little things that make a shop great, I got a pm last night from HFF with a great offer to fix my little problem, the fact they went to the trouble of doing that means I will try them again.

Thats what servicing customers is all about, even ones that have a moan like me, they might just get some more money out of me now!

Good on ya Roskill HFF :D