Acrylic tanks

sorcha

Likely going to be a lot more expensive and then you have a big, expensive scratched up tank.

Which is one up from broken glass ;) A lot of people drop their lids etc, plastic would be handy sometimes. I sometimes put mine in a safe place, only to find it wasn't that safe a place at all. Although replacements are cheap.

120cm x 60cm window for eel pool in 12mm cost me 10dollars

:o That sounds pretty cheap!! Maybe I'll use acrylic pannels and a steel or timber frame to make in indoor pond instead of buying a big glass tank...

Here's 23 pages of discussion of glass vs acrylic; http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... hp?t=78249

Bear in mind that MFK is predominantly americans so acrylic tanks are much more common and probably cheaper than here.

Hmm acrylic tank... seen a few... and boy do they scratch and mark up so easily..... knew someone who had to get the scratches buffered out... more than once.. and what a hassle. Very easily scratched, as The Conch says it's soft. Tank was fantastic tho, but the scratches stuck out big time.

thanks for all the comments :)

I might make some enquiries locally and see what happens, I agree re the scratching, just thinking if it is lighter and cheaper I'm not hugely worried about scratches just after a big tank for a few big fish :)

thanks for all the comments :)

I might make some enquiries locally and see what happens, I agree re the scratching, just thinking if it is lighter and cheaper I'm not hugely worried about scratches just after a big tank for a few big fish :)

Like I said before, it's NOT going to be cheaper. Getting a tank made is pretty cheap anyway, and once it's in place weight of the tank is pretty much irrelevant. If you're wanting cheap, look around for secondhand.

The ones that used to be made here out of acrylic were hugely expensive.... was much dearer than glass that is for sure. And for the huge money spent on one from this area, I would have been spewing it ending up with scratches :lol:

iv been wanting to get an arcrylic lid for my 120x40 tank, would also like to know were to get it from n cost
if i can fins some at my work i will contact u its also very easy to cut acylic with a jigsaw if u are patient , u cant force the blade otherwise it heats up and melts it instead of cutting it this would be fine except it fuses back together behind the saw and u end up with a brittle join that is hard to get smooth again once u snap it. vegetable oil wiped on the blade periodically helps a wee bit

Acrylic doesn't make a good lid. As it sits with no mechanical support in the centre and it's not rigidly fixed to the edges of the tank, it will sag. Acrylic has a very poor memory - this means it doesn't remember it's initial shape and will deform to some new shape over time. If a cross brace is put across the middle it will stop the sag but will look bad. I've tried using acrylic before for lids and it's always sagged. You can turn it over but it just sags the other way after a day or so.

Lexan (or polycarbonate) works very well though. It's much tougher and doesn't sag. Doesn't smash if you drop it either. It's the stuff used for windows...

have a look in the yellow pages for plastic formers

we have a company here locally who has supplied me with some sheets at a pretty good price

120cm x 60cm window for eel pool in 12mm cost me 10dollars

thats a good deal - whats the name of the place livingart ??

The only reason to use acrylic is if you need odd shapes. If you want scratch resistant (and strong) use polycarbonate, but that costs a bundle! I almost choked when I saw sheets at Bunnings for about $80 (1.2x0.8mx6mm or thereabouts).

Oil crisis, what oil crisis? It costs $3.50 a litre for water. they can get oil out of a 1km deep hole, ship it across the world, process it into petrol and sell it for <$2. And that includes a bunch of tax! I want the world to get upset about the water crisis!

It takes about 2kg of oil for every 1kg of plastic.

About 25% of oil becomes petrol.

A "barrel" is 159L.

The specific density of oil is about 0.9 g/cm3.

US$100 a barrel (spot-price, so probably a gross over-estimation).

1kg of plastic = US$1.40 worth of oil or $5.60 worth of petrol.

That sheet of polycarbonate (density 1.2g/cm3) weighs about 5.8kg so contains about $8 worth of oil. A ten times increase due to processing and mark-up! That's more outrageous than the cost of water!