Anyone know how to stop a dog from jumping a 6ft high fence

cichlid7

Anyone know how to stop a dog from jumping a 6ft high fence.

i have 2 dogs

my male dog (whippet x )

My female dog (jack russell x )

About 5 weeks ago my female dog became in season so we put her in side the house for the 3 weeks and and took her out into the front garden on her lead each day. But after a few days my male dog started jumping the fence (we live next to a park) and walking around to the front door and sitting there until we took him around the back again. But now that she is back in the back garden with him for 2 weeks he is still jumping the fence and playing in the road (as Loppy knows thanks for bringing him back to us :hail: ).

We were told if we got him de-sexed it should stop him from jumping the fence :roll: :lol:

Does anyone know if this will work or not and any other ideas

thanks

I would say it is always wise to have your male dog neutered unless you plan to breed him. There are complications that can arise, especially later in life, for a male dog who is not fixed..and does not breed. It will also take his aggression and anxiety down several notches. That said, some training may help. Stay out with him while he is back there, put him on a long lead, and when he approaches the fence or attempts to jump teach him that you disapprove. Most smart dogs can be a challenge to train. Perhaps he needs walking daily, instead of just putting him out. :wink:

he goes for a 3 -4k run daily we got him off a farm when he was 10months old he is very well trained as he was trained to be a pig hunting dog but he was scared of the pigs lol then the guy tried to get him to be a sheep dog but he just played with the sheep. so the guy had no use for him so he gave him away. his is crossed with a border collie he will do anything you say to him except stay on the property. when i feed him i can make him sit and tell him to stay then i can walk away come back 5 mins later and he will be sitting in the same spot then i say eat and he will then eat. only done that twice though it seems a bit mean.

he is now 13months old

We are just going through something similar, my bitch is in heat and my boy ( chained up to his kennel) wouldn't stop barking at all times of the night and day so we tok her over to my Mum's yesterday and i had the best night's sleep ever last night!!

But back to the jumping, have you heard of clicker training? it works on rewarding the good behavour. You start off by spending time with them and getting them used to a clicker. You click and then reward with a treat ( Something soft like luncheon sausage) once they know they will get a treat from just hearing the clicker then you can train them to do anything!!!!

So in your case take him up to the fence and click and reward him so that he knows just being at the bottom of the fence on the right side he will get a reward for it.

With my dog the second he stops barking he gets a treat so associates not barking with getting a treat!!

HTH and the best of luck

clicker train works

and there are more physical methods.

you could take teh bitch away adn stand on teh other side of teh fence and evrytime he trys to jump spra him with teh hose or ake a louds frightening sound and say NO or a simular word.

DO NOT CHAIN HIM.

as a whipet x he will have fine neck bones and if he jumps on a chain may damage his neck.

Nuetering may ceratinly help.

It does reduce sex drive but may not be the whole solution.

Some behaviouralists suggest that it only works in 20% of aggression and about 50% of sex drive incidents. But at least you know if he does get to your bitch then no babies.

Also you can spey your bitch. NO heat. No mess. no pymetria etc etc etc.

Navarre

we pen our two next to each other when she is on heat

leave a gap between pens to avoid mishaps

or put male on a lead attached to wire fixed to ground so he has run of backyard

ensure chain is not too long to leap fence and hang himself

then carry on with the training

talk to neighbour of fence to put up electric wires, 2 wires 1 below top and 1 halfway up

being the dog he is he will probably be leaping up fence then scaling over the top

battery fence units on the auction site