Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Double tank stand build blog

Featured Replies

I picked up a couple of 'new' tanks the other day. :D

They are 1.8m long, approx 300l each, so should make great homes for my plecos as they get bigger.

fishtanks.jpg

I'm short of space in the house, but if I move out my 3ft stand and it's tank I can fit these in, and still have room for some chairs and computers etc. So I got to designing.

TS02.jpg

TS08.jpg

And with some tanks and fish.

TS12.jpg

The tanks have been drilled on the front left corner, so I am planning to connect that to standpipes inside the tank and run some home built sump filters under the stand.

Next... start cutting some wood :wink:

Ian

  • Author
nice one

what is the drawing program?

Bryce 3D

It's not really a CAD package, more a raytracing and 3d drawing thing.

I think the version 5.5 is still available as a free download.

Ian

  • Author
i would like to see how you set your sump out

So do I :wink:

I haven't got that far in the planning yet. But something will come together I'm sure.

But I have started construction anyway.

Sorted out part of the wood stash first.

woodsorting.jpg

Then break out the trusty planer.

DSC07999s.jpg

and plane up some 4x2s

DSC07998s.jpg

And a big pile of shavings.

DSC08000s.jpg

Ian

  • Author

Most of the parts roughly cut to size, not finished everything yet, but getting there.

DSC08205s.jpg

Cutting out the large pieces for the tanks to sit on. Using 16x2s might be a bit excessive, but I have them, so why not.

100_8454.jpg

They are too big to go through the planer so they get surfaced with a router mounted on the mill.

100_8457.jpg

100_8459.jpg

Even took a video of the process.

Ian

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Slow - been home alone baby sitting all week :roll:

Might get some time to work on it today though 8)

nice progress. how do you access the lower tank to get larger items like rockwork etc in or out?

The wooden panels about each tank is removable, going to be held in place with magnet catches. It will limit how big a rock you can manouver in, but it still gives good access.

Ian

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Test assembly for the uprights.

DSC08577s.jpg

Screwed and glued together.

DSC08725s.jpg

The first two uprights and shelves, so it's coming together.

DSC08729s.jpg

I have now got the 4 upright sections built, and the shelves have been edge and sanded. Now all the visible parts need to be made :roll: Doors, light hoods etc, and a few braces to hold the whole thing together.

I think it's going to have to be assembled in place though :roll:

Ian

  • 2 weeks later...

Have you finished the stand yet????

In the pics you posted with the tanks on a stand, how would access the lower tank to clean and such???

Caper

  • Author
Have you finished the stand yet????

In the pics you posted with the tanks on a stand, how would access the lower tank to clean and such???

Caper

More progress has been made, but not finished yet. :oops:

The wooden panels above the tanks are removable, just held in place with magnets. That is enough to give access to the lower tank. The upper shelf and tank are set back as well to give a bit more space. It's a bit awkward to work on the lower tank, but I've already built a couple of double stands so I know how much space I need.

Ian

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks always wondered how you can have one on top of the other and still have room to work on bottom tank.

Post pics when you ahem, finish yours 8) :P

Caper

  • 4 months later...

ah yes, on the internet you can never start something fabulous then run out of steam, hide it in the garage and slink off onto the next project...

Let this be a lesson to you all! :lol:

Actually now I am interested in the panels being held on by magnets. I assume you mean those cupboard-latch type magnets?

How to you get a grip to take the board off? Are there handles or ledges etc?

Actually now I am interested in the panels being held on by magnets. I assume you mean those cupboard-latch type magnets?

How to you get a grip to take the board off? Are there handles or ledges etc?

Easy enough to buy a pile of rare earth magnets off trademe that should work great for holding them.:)

  • Author

Umm.. yeah. :oops:

I have done some more, but not enough to be worth posting pics.

It's still 1/2 done, and I've been off doing other higher priority jobs, like rebuilding an old Oak dresser and fitting a dishwasher into the kitchen for the lady.

But I have to get it finished as it's taking up 1/2 the workshop now :roll:

The other tank stand I built has drilled finger holes in the removable covers, so you can grab them and pull them off the magnets. The covers sit on a small ledge, and the magents just stop them falling off if they get bumped.

I know the front supports aren't really needed, but I've designed it that way anyhow. Belt AND braces, it's RIGID for sure. Also increases the footprint of the stand to spread the weight and conter the weight of the top tank being so high up.

Ian

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.