Nymphaea zenkeri - White Lotus Flower Picture

Faran

lotuscopyrightweb-1.jpg

A recent change in lighting caused a massive surge in my Tiger Lotus growth. I've never let it flower but thought it would be nice to compare with the Red Tiger Lotus flower I did last year.

For some reason the white flower seems more elegant than the pink flower and is definitely easier to take pictures of at low light :) The scent is amazing, pure perfume. Maybe my previous flowers were too far away to smell but I didn't get to enjoy the scent like this.

Anyways, hope you enjoy. There's another flower bud halfway up to the surface which is twice this size, so should have an update soon.

Mine is in a 4ft tank with 4 daylight fluorescents (well in need of new tubes). No ferts added or special substrate mix either. If it has the room to grow out of the water I think it will flower. Mine has reached the size the last one was when it did so, so I am keeping an eye on it this time.

My tank has a glass lid and the fluoros are in a reflector which sits on the glass. The whole lot is covered by a wooden lid as it is part of a built in unit so I will not notice the flower unless I look under both lids. :roll:

The lotus is in a 460L open topped aquarium (no lids) with a decent load of fish. I run a pressurized CO2 system with Flourish (regular, not excel) for ferts.

Previous lighting was a 150W MH but the recent upgrade is a 200W T5 light. The unit actually has 300W of light but I don't use the other two bulbs as it's a bit overkill. Lights are on 13 hours a day.

The main difference between the old and new setup is that the lotus was in a dark corner of the tank which wasn't quite lit up by the old light. With the t5s the light gets to every corner of the tank evenly to allow for proper growth even for the poor plants hidden deep behind the large chunk of driftwood.

Flower 2 has cleared the surface and will open tonight. It's a big one! Flower 3 halfway up now and should be blooming over the weekend.

Sure thing. I've already stripped out a considerable chunk of plants and some of the discus in preparation for the tank being replaced with a slightly larger and nicer one, but this is the aquarium in current condition. The Tiger Lotus has emerged from the shady spot under the wood and is taking over the front of the tank (will be located to the rear in the new aquarium) and the bushy plant to the right is Xmas Moss, while the mess of plant to the left is needle leaf java fern which has been split up to get as much light as possible.

4ftoldtankweb.jpg

The second flower bud can be clearly seen in front of the light (the pointy thing). The first flower bud is water-level and the third flower bud is behind a leaf.

Flowers require surface leaves. Please keep in mind that once the tiger lotus reaches the surface it will turn from a cute bush to a monster "tank buster" with leaves covering just about every available square inch of surface and will block the other plants from getting light.

That said, it's been an enjoyable experience and I still have another flower to enjoy before the tank gets stripped down next weekend for the UPGRADE!

Hi All,

I have been searching for one of these for a few months now but with no luck.

My searches on the internet have pointed me here (great forums btw!)

Can anyone suggest where one would be able to purchase one of these?

Hi Zabman,

I've had them on sale on Trademe for the last month (still there) but you need to move quick as tomorrow I'll be replacing the aquarium the momma plant lives in and I'm not sure what's gonna happen. If all goes well I'll still have a flowering plant with babies in their new home by the end of the weekend.

Sweet as, we'll try and get you the plant delivered before the weekend. One less plant for me to shift and re-plant, thanks! I'll make sure you get a nice big one (as long as it can still fit in the trackpak).

Now I just need to make sure TradeMe didn't auto-relist them...