Breeding fighters

Lights can go out at night. You won't necessarily see them nipping at the food. While they are still sticking to the walls they probably won't be eating.

Just drop a few in (a small few as they go a long way), you will know that they are eating when they start to dart after them. Then up the amount.

Their bellies will swell up and will be very noticeable.

You're doing well. :D

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks adoge. Only a few are sticking to the walls. Most are sitting just under the water and under the lid where the bubble nest was.. I turned the sponge filter on low bubbling just to stir up the food and then feed them some #1 fry food for eggg layers and they seem to be darting around a bit.

sounds good - i have a spawn due to hatch this afternoon. A young male - just 4 months old but a very good dad and a lovely tiny about 1.4cm female.

Am about to post some pics of what my breeding females were up to when I went out at lunch. What a mess. Will post under freshwater though.

My advice.---Don't feed until they are free swimming. If they are clinging to things they are not free swimming and they wont eat the food and it will polute the tank. Leave a small pilot light going at night so they feed 24/7. Feed green water for the first 2 weeks and feed it slowly but continuously. An ideal way is to chat up a nurse from the hospital and get an intravenous drip setup that has been used for saline and fill the bag with green water and let it drip slowly into the tank. Keep the air above the water warm with a lid. Feed New Zealand brine shrimp (it is smaller) as soon as they are taking it--- add just a few and you can see if they are eating it as their bellies will swell and become the same colour as the nuplii. You can feed microworm as well but I don't think the food value is as good. Now figure out what you are going to store hundreds of males in so they don't try to kill each other.

Well I made to dsay 6 with (day 8 since they were laid) and all is going well. I'm feeding them 3 times a day on liquidfry 1. Just thought I'd keep you updated. oh and they're about 5-6 mm in length. Is this a good size?

• 2 months later...

Just an update. From this spawn I still have about 30 (is this a good number too still have alive) and they are all healthy (I lost alot when I started feeding bbs to an amonia spike :evil: ). I'm doing 1-2 water changes a day (when I say water changes it's just cleaning all the stuff off the bottom so it's only about a litre taken out). I have 3 really big ones (about 3cms and I've moved them out as I caught the biggest eating a little one) and all the rest are about 1.5 -2cms. The 3 big ones I'm pretty sure 1 is a male as it's a bit aggresive and has longer fins and 2 females as the aren't aggro and don't have long fins. They all have stripes on them but only one of the "females" is really clear like the mothers and the other two have sort of smudgey stripes on them so hopefully they'll have some body colour on them(what size do they get colour ontheir body). I also have another spawn and they're growing faster than the other lot did (I think it's the bbs). I'm doing lots of little feedings a day of miroworms, frozen bbs cubes that I made and the bigger ones eat crushed flake.

Heres a few pics of the babys they're not too good but they give you an idea

Male

079-1.jpg

080-2.jpg

Male (bottom) and female (top)

114-1-1.jpg

thats the female that doesn't have deffinent stripes.

I noticed that the male has that thing under the gill like my adult male. think it's called their beard? and the females don't so I think I have the sexes right.

Yeah it's either him or the adult male thats making all the bubblenest. There was about 20 little 2x2cm bubblenests all in the floating indin fern this morning but I took it all out today as no light was getting in the tank.

Yip. I wanted to try raise them with him and see if I can keep two males together and so far it's OK. I'll move the female into the main tank with their mum as when she's on her own she goes all sad and droopy so I though give her a friend.

I have 4 big ones which are from a spawn of about 35 and a spawn with about 70 left. Most of the older spawn got killed from over feeding on BBS. Anyone have an idea on what size they ussually get colour on their body?

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest fighter has got really dense crowning and his tail has got twin spikey bits (if that makes sense). I think they're called double crowns? Anyway is it hard to breed a good quality CT that looks like this

Camsfish010.jpg

Camsfish007.jpg

Camsfish018.jpg

This is his father.

He has the same blood red fins (the pictures don't really show it) and his bodys starting to go red.