Breeding fighters

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the parents? If so I'll try and get some. I thought if you breed CT with CT you get CT and if you breed VT with VT you get get VT and if you breed CT with VT you get a 50 50 split of crowntail and veiltail with CT and VT genes in them.

heres some pics of them. They're not very good but I hope you can see them alright.

the female

074-1.jpg

the male

Camsfish016.jpg

Camsfish010.jpg

The camera makes the female more blue than it really is.

Thanks I was really lucky to find him. He was from Hutt pets and the were having a special I think the only thing that stopped people buying him was he was hiding in some plants and I don't think anyone could see him. :lol: :lol:

The pics are the biggest I was abe to get (well atleast thats what the guidelines said :roll: ) When I first saw her I thought she had CT in her but when I saw a picture of an actual one I changed my mind.

Very nice male indeed :bounce:

Try and zoom in on the fish itself and get a side view.

When you cross a CT with a VT you Don't get 50-50 fry.Wish it was so easy lol. What you get is fish carrying the VT or CT genes or both. They don't look anything like the parent. You'll need a lot of crossback and selective breeding to get a proper CT.

If you can get a proper CT female or at least one that is F2 or F3 the work will be easier.

Try getting a female from Adodge .

ron

OK I just read that if you breed a CT with a VT you get Combtail and and some of them will have longer rays than others. Do you agree with this or is it just another persons made up theory

I think I'm just going to spawn my two and see what I get. I know the Male is a diffenently a double ray and I think the female is a veil tail but not totaly sure. How would you turn the combtail into a crown tail? Or is it not possible? The pictures I've seen look like a crowntail with shorter spiky bits not a veil tail with jagged edges.

OK I just read that if you breed a CT with a VT you get Combtail and and some of them will have longer rays than others. Do you agree with this or is it just another persons made up theory

Combtail's usually come with in the first generation of HM x CT. Not VT.

Genetics are not guaranteed. It's not like a simple math equation where A + B = C. You'll get a mix of colours and tail types. All you can do is try it and see what happens.

Also since both are from pet stores, you don't know the history of either of them. They will probably have genes you didn't even think they had.

My guess would be that you'll get veil's with droopy crowning effect and won't look anything like your male unfortunately.

If you're just wanting to breed them for fun and not fussed on what you get, then go ahead and mix and match whatever you want!

However if you're wanting good quality betta's, I highly suggest getting a crowntail female of any colour.

All just depends on how serious you are really :wink:

Just tried looking for some pics as examples but couldn't find any unforunately :x

I just want to start off breeding them and have a bit of fun until I get used to breeding them and then I want to get a into breeding crowntails as I believe these are really awesome looking fish and there isn't enough of them out there. So I thought if I could get a few fry with genes from my male and then I could try to get some good quality crowntails after a few spawns.

The pic that you posted Cam is not of a true ct female, doesn't show enough ray extensions, it will have some ct in it. I have a lot like that but my true ct females have way more in the way of rays on both their tails and fins.

If you go on with the pair you have take the two best of each sex and work with them until you get what you want bearing in mind that it takes 4-6 months for a fighter to reach breeding age all going well. I find cts hard work to breed and raise, much harder than veiltails.

Ok thanks adoge I knew it wasnt a true CT but I did think that it had some in it. I suppose it'll just take a lot of time and effort until I get what I want.